Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sieger Devries

Some questions if I may....
« on: 22/03/2015 at 17:26 »
It's been a while since I posted something here, but I regularly looking so I still feel connected...  :wink

Has a bit of a gap in my motivation in regards to flyfishing (lost my job and other things...) but bit by bit it's coming back.
Next to that an old passion of mine popped up again... Bushcraft. I really love being outdoors trying to enjoy nature in the most possible primitive way (as I'm getting older, the primitive part is becoming questionable though....  :z7 ).

A good friend is organizing different course and trip to Scotland and we came up with the idea of combining bushcraft and flyfishing and make a concept for a course. Our goal is to get people involved in the basics of (primitive) fishing and bushcraft. All of this on a low budget base... (yes we're still dutch...). The fishing part 'has to be planned' by me. And that where I like to ask you some questions if I may.

The target areas would be the Cairngorms, the Dee-area or the Spey-area. Preferably our target fish would be wild brown trout (or any other trout species...).
We would like to practice primitive fishing skills like 'long-line' fishing and fishing with pods, all self made from natural materials. The flyfishing should be low cost also, so the salmon river parts are out of our league I guess....

Time of year: Spring or Fall (Fall would be my choice...)

I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions on it (being good or 'bad'...) And if you have suggestions for websites where to look... please do so.

Oh... it's a non-profit thins so it's going to be cost neutral...

Hope you can give some direction to my thoughts....  :z16

Derek Roxborough

Re: Some questions if I may....
« Reply #1 on: 22/03/2015 at 23:32 »
Intrigued by your mention of long lines, If this is what I think you mean , it could be classed as poaching, so be careful, good luck with your venture ,easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2015 at 07:47 »
We would like to practice primitive fishing skills like 'long-line' fishing and fishing with pods, all self made from natural materials.

I think you are bordering on "illegal" here. Both methods would see you in a bit of bother.

However, "back to basics" fishing could include "Tenkara"...but with bamboo poles???

One last thing, under the Scottish Access Code, open fires are illegal in many areas (although that does not stop folk) so worth double checking with the land owner. Normally if you explain they are fine with it.

Otherwise, sounds like an interesting and fun thing to do.

There are a few brown trout waters up Deeside that are up in the hills, these may be a option??

Sieger Devries

« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2015 at 00:02 »
Thanks guys... I would go with someone who is going there for some  years to do some bushcraft courses. He know the owners, but I think he didn't realize 'long-lines' would be considered poaching... Think it might be though...

Would you have some web-adresses to look into for smaller rivers etc...?
(has to be 'very' low cost base...  :roll )

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2015 at 13:04 »
The law in Scotland on fishing and fisheries is quite complex it is illegal to set lines for game fish,our angling club has problems with "anglers " who come to the lochs and set out 2 or 3 rods and settle down in their chairs, we have to go and set them right so be sure you know the law before you set out on your venture,also hunting with a bow is also illegal through out the UK,
easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2015 at 13:34 »
The law in Scotland on fishing and fisheries is quite complex it is illegal to set lines for game fish,our angling club has problems with "anglers " who come to the lochs and set out 2 or 3 rods and settle down in their chairs, we have to go and set them right so be sure you know the law before you set out on your venture,also hunting with a bow is also illegal through out the UK,
easgach 1

Just to ensure that there are no "crossed lines"... (see what I did there..lol), it is perfectly legal to fish with rods in rests in Scotland for non Salmonids, ie, coarse fish. The law, being very complex indeed, recognizes a difference between coarse and game anglers.

Extract from the Aquaculture and Fisheries(Scotland) Bill.

44. When fishing otherwise than from a boat for freshwater fish other than salmonids, the
Bill sets a limit such that no individual angler may use more than 4 rods and associated rod rests.
Although the angler need not retain the rods in his hands (which would not be practicable if there
were 4 rods in use at one time) the angler must remain in attendance to ensure that he or she is
able to retrieve the rod as soon as practicable should a fish take the bait or lure attached to the
line associated with any rod.

Unfortunately, the Scottish Government have not updated their website to reflect the changes in the laws that took place in 2006 which leads to yet more confusion.

Also worth noting is that the use of knotted mesh on a landing net is illegal in Scotland.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2015 at 17:23 »

Although the angler need not retain the rods in his hands (which would not be practicable if there
were 4 rods in use at one time)

:z4 :z4 :z4

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 26/03/2015 at 20:03 »
 I did mention Game fish, Rob easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 30/03/2015 at 08:15 »
I did mention Game fish, Rob easgach 1

I realize that, but it is an oft quoted law that is very very misunderstood and why I also stated it applies to game fish, not coarse. :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 30/03/2015 at 08:18 »

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 30/03/2015 at 08:31 »
 :X1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 30/03/2015 at 09:05 »
This one has three ;)

ok, but he also has three arms !  :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 30/03/2015 at 09:11 »
ok, but he also has three arms !  :z4 :z4 :z4

Must be from Fife ;)

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 30/03/2015 at 09:16 »
Or Japan..... Ukraine...... etc

Maybe just a clever dick.

H

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 30/03/2015 at 10:08 »

Maybe just a clever dick.

that wouldn't count as an arm...  :z7  :X2  :z5  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com