Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Sunley

Tay Time
« on: 13/03/2015 at 19:19 »
Swinging a rod on the Tay tomorrow at the fishponds beat been looking forward to this as been cancelled twice already.
Beer time in the creiff hydro first

Ben Dixon

Re: Tay Time
« Reply #1 on: 13/03/2015 at 21:31 »
Good luck, height is good for it as long as the temperature isn't too high.  If there is anything about Iain will make sure you're in the right place for it.  Be interested to know how you get on.

Cheers

Ben

« Reply #2 on: 13/03/2015 at 22:02 »
Aye good luck, A was doon last week at Dunkled house first time on the Tay caught nowt but had a great time, Silver wilkie from the daily record got one on a gold wiliie gun fishing on the boat.

Colin Sunley

« Reply #3 on: 14/03/2015 at 18:36 »
Well that was a cracking day. Not a fishing between the 6 of as. Iain hooked into a big fish trawling  the banks but was off before they could do anything more. Deffo go again

« Reply #4 on: 14/03/2015 at 19:07 »
Looking like a rubbish year already for the salmon  :z14 :z14. roll on the troot season.

Colin Sunley

« Reply #5 on: 14/03/2015 at 21:22 »
Now had that verh same thoughts untill I spokd to Iain on that very same subject. So Iains 10 year average was about 180 last year he hit 75. But he also said  last year he saw hundreds of fish each week  but they were just not taking the fly just passing by.

But then the Tay has always held its own untill last year of 75. This year will be the d-day for scotish salmon fishing on every river which ever way you look at it if this year turns bad we can see a virtual collapse of thd fishing industry, fishing bests like Findhorn or spey wont be able to give there weeks slotscaway.

Colin Sunley

« Reply #6 on: 14/03/2015 at 21:25 »
Apologies big fingers small keyboard

« Reply #7 on: 15/03/2015 at 01:41 »
Now had that verh same thoughts untill I spokd to Iain on that very same subject. So Iains 10 year average was about 180 last year he hit 75. But he also said  last year he saw hundreds of fish each week  but they were just not taking the fly just passing by.

But then the Tay has always held its own untill last year of 75. This year will be the d-day for scotish salmon fishing on every river which ever way you look at it if this year turns bad we can see a virtual collapse of thd fishing industry, fishing bests like Findhorn or spey wont be able to give there weeks slotscaway.

Fit likee Cosun
A really hope am wrong about the salmon run. I did see fish at Dunkeld but the water levels creeped up in the afternoon which did not help but i had a great day regardless and the ghillies were great. That was my first time on the Tay and i will be back it is in my humble opinion better value than the Dee and i must try the boat fishing just the once. Another point worthy of mention for folk that aint fished the tay is do not worry about high water near Dunkeld it runs clear as tap water even with 5-6ft showing on the gauge.

Regards
the troot

Colin Sunley

« Reply #8 on: 15/03/2015 at 19:35 »
on Thursday they were not sure if it was fishable, it had dropped 4ft by Friday Night  and expected it to drop another foot or two during the Saturday,  I have some Pictures but cant get them loaded up for some reason.
So ye even in high water is crystal clear and So wide & fast flowing, Its an epic river to fish.

Ben,  Iain is a an absolute gent of a man, I have a picture of him on the boat, its say is all,  :z12

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 16/03/2015 at 09:05 »
Yup.  Decent bloke, very knowledgeable and a good instructor although I'd never tell him any of that!

Good value fishing and there is nowhere else quite like the Lower Tay in terms of scale and power in the UK (that I've fished).

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 16/03/2015 at 19:42 »
Yup.  Decent bloke, very knowledgeable and a good instructor although I'd never tell him any of that!

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Colin Sunley

« Reply #11 on: 17/03/2015 at 13:06 »

One Happy Ghillie.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com