Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Some of you may already have seen this:

I'll be there, I really hope many of you will too - promises to be a unique experience :!

More information to come, but get it in your diary folks :z16 Now, time to dust off that 15' rod and get ready for a crack at the event  :z7

H :cool:

Euan Innes

Re: Alexander Grant memorial spey casting competition
« Reply #1 on: 26/02/2015 at 22:47 »
Sounds like a hoot to me and I may have to book a room at chez Young before Ben does.  :z7
Picking up silly lengths of line and casting it all back out was how we did it before shooting heeds came in to fashion. I remember well when Masterline (remember them?) brought out a 40yd DT10 (11 and 12 too) to help folks like me. The wooden box the line came in was my wifes jewelry box for years!
Does the comp have the same rules?? Are we in for good "Vibrations"?  :z4

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2015 at 07:33 »
Sounds like a hoot to me and I may have to book a room at chez Young before Ben does.  :z7
Too late.... I have a tent tho.....
Picking up silly lengths of line and casting it all back out was how we did it before shooting heeds came in to fashion. I remember well when Masterline (remember them?) brought out a 40yd DT10 (11 and 12 too) to help folks like me. The wooden box the line came in was my wifes jewelry box for years!
Aye, I remember those lines. I think Masterline may still be on the go.
Does the comp have the same rules?? Are we in for good "Vibrations"?  :z4
Waiting for the comp rules and I expect vibrations will be good  :z7

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2015 at 11:41 »
And I also suspected that there would be no room in the inn!
I'll check my diary and see if I can get up.

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2015 at 17:05 »
Always room chum - just not necessarily bed room :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 28/02/2015 at 18:39 »
Off topic slightly H but is the CLA competition running this year? Just saw a post on. Facebook saying it's in doubt.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 28/02/2015 at 21:34 »
Off topic slightly H but is the CLA competition running this year? Just saw a post on. Facebook saying it's in doubt.

I have not had replies to my emails about this Peter, which is not a good sign. Truthfully there's been a rumour bubbling away on the back-burner since last autumn that the CLA fly-casting events would be pulled and at the moment it does seem like competitive fly casting at the CLA is over.

A great shame, years of history and effort wiped out and consigned to nostalgia. I am unamused.

:z10

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 22/04/2015 at 11:08 »
Here's a link to the broader festival:
http://www.scotlandsalmonfestival.org/

I said I would pop up the rules of the competition, I've not seen them anywhere other than on Scotts Facebook page so here they are:

ALEXANDER GRANT MEMORIAL SPEY CASTING COMPETITION - RULES OF COMPETITION

1) The competition is open to all comers regardless of age, gender, amateur or professional, competitors need not be resident in the UK

2) First price will be awarded to the competitor who is judged to have cast the greatest distance using a approved Spey cast during the final, 2nd and 3rd winning places will also be judged in the same way,

3) Competitors may compete with any rod, reel and line as long as it fall into the follows specifications

* The rod can be of any make or manufacturer, the rod shall not be longer than 15’1ft in length,

*The reel must be of a normal revolving spool fly reel design

* The casting line or casting head can be of a density that is classified as a floater, in the opinion of the judges the line must float,

* The running line can be made of any material strength or density, There must be a leader/cast of at least 6ft in length attached to the front end of the fly line and to this must be attached a brightly coloured piece of wool or wool substitute, without weight, in place of a fly.

4) Each competitor will be given 4 minutes casting time, approved cast will only be judged during the competition time and competitors must re-position the line to outside the marker rope before their initial and subsequent casts within the time period. The distance will be judged as the landing point of the wool/wool substitute on the outside of the target rope on the completion of each cast.

5) Should the same distance be cast by two or more competitors during the Finals of the event, then these competitors will take part in a play off as has been used in the earlier stage of the Final

6) Each competitor must stand in the water at the designated casting position at all times when competing.

7) Failure to abide by any of the above rules and guidelines will result in disqualification

An approved Spey cast will be deemed as:

• Any form of roll or Spey cast which incorporates an angle change of at least thirty degrees or /as defined by the marker ropes laid out in the competition

• A cast during which some part of the casting line or leader alights the water no further than two rod lengths away from the competitor, to form a D or V loop in the accepted sense

The decision of the judges is final.

I might have a chuck, we'll see but I might not have the time as my Coastguards and I will be running elements of the safety for the event and I may also end up helping with the judging.... I believe entries are coming in from all over the world so if you fancy a go make sure your name is on Scott's list :!

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 20/05/2015 at 09:00 »
I'm going to have a chuck and get some practice in.... any other forum members coming along to the competition :? Promises to be good with a world-class entry field :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 11/08/2015 at 09:21 »
No casting for me but tying there in the MFTI tent, might see a few of you guys there  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 11/08/2015 at 18:12 »
I've not had the time to practice, so I'll be there in another role  :wink
Promises to be a good event, the Friday & Saturday at the very least  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 03/09/2015 at 20:51 »
Damn and blast.... I'm casting second tomorrow for day 1 of qualifying.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 03/09/2015 at 20:52 »
Enjoy :z16

Might get a good tail wind with this weather Hamish :cool:

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 03/09/2015 at 23:22 »
Damn and blast.... I'm casting second tomorrow for day 1 of qualifying.

Good luck Hamish, if I get a chance i'll pop past and watch

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 04/09/2015 at 07:41 »
Enjoy :z16

Might get a good tail wind with this weather Hamish :cool:
Cheers Mr B, but unfortunately we have a WNW wind which is pretty much right into the face of the casters :z6 Still, let's hope some of the audience had beans for breakfast...... might help  :wink

Good luck Hamish, if I get a chance i'll pop past and watch
  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com