Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fishing trip to Scotland nr Fort William
« on: 03/02/2015 at 23:14 »
Towards the start of the season I am hoping to organise a trip to Scotland, we will be mainly fly fishing for trout/sewin/salmon. Can anybody offer any suggestions of where to fish? River or lochs would be great, I have only previously fished Loch Linne for mackerel, pollack, cod and red cod any moons ago

Also where is the nearest fly fishing shop now that rod and gun has now closed?

thanks  :z18

Hamish Young

Re: Fishing trip to Scotland nr Fort William
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/2015 at 08:02 »
Towards the start of the season I am hoping to organise a trip to Scotland, we will be mainly fly fishing for trout/sewin/salmon. Can anybody offer any suggestions of where to fish? River or lochs would be great, I have only previously fished Loch Linne for mackerel, pollack, cod and red cod any moons ago

You might define start of the season..... in many places the Sea Trout will not be around until mid to late May. Spring Salmon :? I'd be looking at the Lochy. Have a look on Fishpal for any spare rods. Brownies :? Arkaig maybe, Loch Lochy yes, Morar yes from early April they all fish depending on the weather.

Also where is the nearest fly fishing shop now that rod and gun has now closed?

Good question and much depends on your route north. Assuming you are coming from the land of daffodils, leeks and scared sheep then McHardys of Carlisle has been a stop off for anglers coming north for generations and once over the border the Glasgow Angling Centre is an obvious call. Sadly, once you're past the central belt and Loch Lomond, there's no 'proper' tackle shops left on the West. For emergency supplies some stuff can be picked up in some shops but it's very limited. There is an outdoors shop in Fort Augustus which sells some tackle otherwise you're all the way to Inverness and Grahams.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 04/02/2015 at 08:11 »
Active Angling/Stirling Angling Centre is worth a visit if heading up the A9 and across at A889. Nice café next door for a decent bit of grub and a coffee too.

Also, I found a tackle shop in Oban that was reasonable. Plenty of lures/flies and line/lines to choose from.

You can't miss it, it has a huge statue of a Native American Indian outside!!

« Reply #3 on: 04/02/2015 at 20:05 »
You might define start of the season..... in many places the Sea Trout will not be around until mid to late May. Spring Salmon :? I'd be looking at the Lochy. Have a look on Fishpal for any spare rods. Brownies :? Arkaig maybe, Loch Lochy yes, Morar yes from early April they all fish depending on the weather.

Good question and much depends on your route north. Assuming you are coming from the land of daffodils, leeks and scared sheep then McHardys of Carlisle has been a stop off for anglers coming north for generations and once over the border the Glasgow Angling Centre is an obvious call. Sadly, once you're past the central belt and Loch Lomond, there's no 'proper' tackle shops left on the West. For emergency supplies some stuff can be picked up in some shops but it's very limited. There is an outdoors shop in Fort Augustus which sells some tackle otherwise you're all the way to Inverness and Grahams.

Unfortunately due to work commitments we can only come up during April so I'm guessing we will miss the sea trout, lets hope fr a spring salmon hey. Big thanks for the suggestions on the fishing, can all the permits be sourced on Fishpal??

Yes we will be coming up from the place where the shppe are worried  :z4 :z4 and we will stop off in Carlisle, and hopefully Glasgow Angling if its on the way. On our way up we will definitely be stopping off in Loch Lomond for a break and a look at the scenery.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com