Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

First Sat Nav ..... what do I go for?
« on: 29/01/2015 at 09:52 »
I'm not much of a one for gadgets, but I'm considering the idea of getting my first sat nav for the car :z3

I would just like something simple that I can feed in the destination to when I set off, that will know where I am and that will tell me audibly where to turn off etc along the way until I get there .... I've never used one, so I guess that's how they work :z4

What would you suggest?

Cheers
Mike

Jeff Donovan

Re: First Sat Nav ..... what do I go for?
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2015 at 11:36 »
The 1st sat nav I had was the Tomtom one, pretty much idiot proof & the updates for it were free.  :z16

Colin Sunley

« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2015 at 12:57 »
Most smart phones have one, Samsung  galaxy have a pretty good one. But having said that we gave a tom tom in the car with Billy connely voice £80 I think it was from curries

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2015 at 13:44 »
I'm not much of a one for gadgets, but I'm considering the idea of getting my first sat nav for the car :z3

I would just like something simple that I can feed in the destination to when I set off, that will know where I am and that will tell me audibly where to turn off etc along the way until I get there .... I've never used one, so I guess that's how they work :z4

What would you suggest?

Cheers
Mike

A Map  :z4

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2015 at 14:13 »
Yes, I've always found my way over the last 40 odd years Jim ..... not sure why I've suddenly had this brainwave :z4

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 29/01/2015 at 15:11 »
Yes, I've always found my way over the last 40 odd years Jim ..... not sure why I've suddenly had this brainwave :z4

Cheers
Mike

Mid life crisis Mike ?  :z4

At least its not a sports car  :wink

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 29/01/2015 at 15:21 »
Yes, probably Jim :oops

I've already battled with the MG Midget, the campervan fishing wagon and the caravan fishing wagon ..... without pressing the button yet :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 29/01/2015 at 16:08 »
The 1st sat nav I had was the Tomtom one, pretty much idiot proof & the updates for it were free.  :z16

spot on. mine's 5 or 6 years old and going strong.  :z16

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #8 on: 29/01/2015 at 18:53 »
Halfords have got some sort of a deal going on this at the moment if you are interested Mike.
http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/tomtom-xl-uk-roi-western-europe-classic-4-3-sat-nav-with-free-lifetime-maps

Derek McLaren

« Reply #9 on: 29/01/2015 at 19:08 »
another vote for tom tom just bought the start 50 from ideal world with traffic receiver included it works braw, gave my old tom tom xl to the nephew and it still works fine :z18
maps for life on the new one,thats how i changed :z4

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 30/01/2015 at 01:12 »
What kind of phone are you using Mike?

So long as it's not an old Nokia 3210 or the like, then I would suggest just downloading "waze" onto it. I have used this app globally and has been perfect and free!

I just don't see the point in spending extra cash on a GPS when most modern day phones are as good if not better.

Steven.

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 30/01/2015 at 06:01 »
Mike,
Tom Tom for sure but also check out Garmin. We just got one for travelling Europe when we get a hire car and it is pretty good. The mount and cabling is pretty good too. This is for work travel. If I go to Europe on holiday I would hire a car with satnav already in it but the accountants think we can save money by hiring a corsa with no nav system. The extra fuel used when it is being thrashed mecilessly soon removes the difference. :z4

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 30/01/2015 at 07:55 »
Still using my old Samsung Steven, I've dropped it, lost it, it's been in the lake a few times and been in the Don ........ and it's still going strong :cool:

No desire for a smart phone I'm afraid, a phone is a phone, although texts can be handy :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

gunner100

« Reply #13 on: 30/01/2015 at 22:27 »

Mike,

Any sat nav will do what you outlined in your opening post so the model is not too important.

I have been using a sat nav for around ten years, an obscure German manufacturer called Medion.
When I came to replace my first model five years ago because it only had UK/Ireland maps and I wanted European maps I found that it was cheaper to buy a new upgraded model than update the maps. Many sat nav manufacturers now provide life time map upgrades.  This would be a major factor for me when purchasing a new sat nav as would be European maps.

Cheers,

Lyall

« Reply #14 on: 31/01/2015 at 20:40 »
You can get Tom Tom app for the iPhone.

We used to have a Tom Tom, it was great easy to used and rarely sent us wrong. It fell foul of an accident and I picked up a cheap Garmin as a replacement. Thing was a bloody nightmare, its route planning was bizarre at best and its sense of direction was disastrous.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com