Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Re: Migratory browns....
« Reply #30 on: 08/01/2015 at 13:02 »
Hi All,
         An interesting thread . My take on big brownies (anywhere) is that they did not get that way feeding on insects. Much the same as any fish, to build protein they have to eat protein . I suspect that many of the bigger river trout are predominantly fish eaters but also of course opportunistic ,    ( hence the reason we catch them on artificial flies occasionally). Perhaps these bigger fish roam to find suitable prey items ? and perhaps that roaming even gets them as far as the sea ( or local estuary) ? Do we have any data from scale readings which show sea feeding ( or other growth spurts) , in these large river brownies ?

PS: nice to be back :-)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #31 on: 08/01/2015 at 18:06 »
insects are very high in protean  :wink

Paul Rankine

« Reply #32 on: 09/01/2015 at 23:21 »
 Hi Marc,
               :-)
  :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #33 on: 10/01/2015 at 20:29 »
"Taking The Initiative" ..... Nice article by Dryflee Allan related to this topic in this month's FF&FT Magazine :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #34 on: 10/01/2015 at 23:09 »
Thanks Mike didn't realise it was out so early.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #35 on: 26/01/2015 at 19:51 »
finally caught up with FF&FT backlog.

Trying to review the movements of the fish whose movements are featured in the article. She moved down to the very lower river (after spawning) in November, then hung around there until July. Then it moved fairly quickly up to mid-river, and stayed there for 3 months.

It would be fascinating to see data on day to day movements while she was at those two areas for prolonged periods. I guess you would need tens of receivers to track fish movements that way. Or a very determined person with polaroids.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #36 on: 27/01/2015 at 07:25 »
I guess you would need tens of receivers to track fish movements that way. Or a very determined person with polaroids.

A hand held receiver can be employed as used on the Don. If I remember it has a range of about 100m and it is a case of starting below the last known location and walking until you locate the fish. I thinks a few long walks might be required with some fish :)

Colin Sunley

« Reply #37 on: 27/01/2015 at 08:10 »
When you say upper and lower parts of the river how far would the fish be moving in terms of miles

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #38 on: 27/01/2015 at 18:50 »
I too finally got to read the piece today :z18

Great information, backing up a lot of what i've believed for a long time,
very surprised with the timing as well, but just goes to show what actual evidence and not just anecdotes can provide.

I've always thought that good fish are found in good holding spots and it is not necessarily the same fish each time you try for it, this goes some way to support that idea :z18

Makes you think about wading at the end of the season though, if the trout have spawned then i'd be mortified to think i was disturbing their redds. One to bear in mind from now on :z16

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #39 on: 28/01/2015 at 11:02 »
Thanks Sandy  :z16

Hand helds are very much a hit or miss Rob, much better are fixed receivers, although given the extremely high cost of the transmitters and the fact that they have to be surgically fitted to the fish (which holds an obvious danger to the trout well beyond the debate of why lift it out the water for a photo) means this will always be a limited exercise.

Iain the data gathered suggested that the fish in question was indeed moving daily to feed and knowing the bit of water in question it would appear (also given the time of year) that this fish was moving into areas where the best upwing hatches were.

If you take this as an indication of a number of the fish in the system then it would support the theory that they will move some surprising distances to take advantage of the best feeding bits and not necessarily hold in the same spot but range between a number of them.  So yes a big fish might be found in a given location but no a big fish always lives there.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #40 on: 28/01/2015 at 19:14 »
I don't know about migratory browns on the west here, but there is some anecdotal evidence that the bigger char in one system move between lochs, not just to spawn, these are char that have been seen, at around 2 1/2 lb, moving through a 3 loch system,with a 4 mile river,  so migratory browns in a similar situation would not be unusual, and the don is a decent sized system,easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 28/01/2015 at 20:25 »
I don't know about migratory browns on the west here

In my experience it's much much more common than some folk would believe.

, but there is some anecdotal evidence that the bigger char in one system move between lochs, not just to spawn, these are char that have been seen, at around 2 1/2 lb, moving through a 3 loch system,with a 4 mile river,  so migratory browns in a similar situation would not be unusual, and the don is a decent sized system,easgach 1

See Char moving about in the Garry system, so I can believe they do migrate between waters.

H

Paul Rankine

« Reply #42 on: 02/02/2015 at 10:09 »
Hi Hamish,
                  I would agree with you there ,not only on the West coast  :wink

Alan is the data mentioned in your article going to be written up in the form of a scientific paper. If so I would be much obliged for the reference details.
Thanks.

Paul.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #43 on: 02/02/2015 at 12:57 »
Already is Paul, will get the ref to you, however meantime if you look at the MFTI website you'll get more background info.

Cheers
Allan

Paul Rankine

« Reply #44 on: 03/02/2015 at 13:45 »
Thanks Allan,  will do .

Cheers.

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com