Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

New fishing car
« on: 12/09/2014 at 08:54 »
Right, my current fishing wagon is off to the great auction site in the sky (well, Perth) soon to be replaced with something a bit newer (still old though).

Anyone care to guess what it might be? Some clues....

Its 4 wheel drive
0-60 in 5.8 seconds (yes...5.8)
It speaks with a Japanese accent.

Mike Barrio

Re: New fishing car
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2014 at 09:04 »
A proper 4X4 takes at least a couple of minutes to reach 60 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2014 at 09:24 »
A proper 4X4 takes at least a couple of minutes to reach 60 :z4

:z7 It is a proper one, and even comes with a low ratio gearbox in the less powerful version ;)

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2014 at 09:54 »
Is it a Mitsubishi  :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 12/09/2014 at 12:09 »
Not a Mitsubishi...although Cass wants an Evo IX..maybe next time ;)

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 12/09/2014 at 18:05 »
Is it a Subaru (again) :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2014 at 18:35 »
Is it a Subaru (again) :?

Aye. Forester 2.5 Turbo. Awesome beast!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2014 at 18:45 »
This model, I might beat some of the ADAA members to the Pump house now!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 15/09/2014 at 07:29 »
Poooop! The deal fell through :(

But ended up with a much newer 61 plate Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 with only 14k on the clock. Mucho Happy!

Maybe not as mad to drive, but a much much better car.

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #9 on: 16/09/2014 at 10:42 »
I drive a proper 4x4. 1966 land rover series 2a. As far as I know it has never reached 60!
Great for getting about off the beaten track though

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 16/09/2014 at 10:56 »
I drive a proper 4x4. 1966 land rover series 2a. As far as I know it has never reached 60!
Great for getting about off the beaten track though

I have a prototype 110 CSW that I am slowly restoring.  Its the bridge prototype between a Stage One V8 and the production 110. Basically is is a Rangie with a 110 top, so it has the 4 speed LT95 box, vacuum diff actuator and the full 138hp V8 :) Also has some unique Carawagon internal fittings that LR added as it was used as a Press vehicle in Australia and used for several camping trips.

Funny enough, there was a 2A sitting at the subaru garage. They were wanting £9k for it!! I declined. I am in negotiations over a series 1 88" that a chap found in his barn!!! He is wanting a bit much for something he did not even know he had...but I am working on him..lol

Graham Nicol

« Reply #11 on: 18/09/2014 at 08:38 »
I can't see past Foresters as the ones I have owned have been trouble free and carried out what they say on the label. So I would be interested as to why you believe the Skoda Octavia to be a better car. Thanks

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 18/09/2014 at 11:48 »
I can't see past Foresters as the ones I have owned have been trouble free and carried out what they say on the label. So I would be interested as to why you believe the Skoda Octavia to be a better car. Thanks

I currenty run a Subaru Outback, and I love it to bits, BUT, its time for it to go. I have looked far and wide for a replacement, and I have come close several times with either Foresters or Outbacks, but there has always been something not right.

I started with the JD Powers surveys of the last few years. Skoda come 1st wuth the Superb, 2nd with the Yeti, 17th with the Octavia, 31st with the Fabia. Subaru are not listed in the top 150.

I then looked at the customer satisfaction. Skoda came 4th, Subaru are not listed in the top 27.

Next came user reviews and clips on YouTube showing all my options on snow/mud/wet fields. There appeared to be little difference between the Skodas Haldex 5 system and Subarus AWD. The general opinion from Subaru drivers was that the quality was going down, and I would echo that from the state of some of the secondhand Outbacks I looked at (very rusty underneath even on 2 year old cars) compared to my hard used and abused 2005 model, and the quality of Skodas is going up. (JD Powers supports this). Considering that Octavias number far more on the roads that Outbacks, I was amazed at the lack of problems associated with them (Especially the Petrol versions).

I then looked at prices. A new Outback starts at £30k and only comes in Diesel now. The Forester starts at £25k. The Scout starts at £25k and is of a higher spec than the eqivalent Outback. Seconhand prices had the same relationships.

Next I looked at running costs. I only looked at Petrol as the Subaru diesels are still having issues with snapped crankshafts and I was not willing to take a £7k repair bill. Now, I love my boxer 2.5, its superb, but the 1.8 Skoda engine is sweet! It has more power, more torque and is smoother.  I did not think that possible! The tax on the Skoda is £225, the forester I took out (XT) was £485. MPG are about the same, and thats Honest John results, not the manufacturers estimated ones. Insurance on the Skoda is £164 fully comp, 2 drivers, the Outback was going to be £289

I then looked at levels of equipment and quality. This is where the Skoda started to move ahead. The Scout trim I have is pretty loaded, the Outback was pretty basic, although still better than my top of the range older Outback.

Lastly I looked at the deals available. I had to rule out brand new as this is my second car for winter and fishing. So for £14k I got a 61 plate with 14k on the clock. For the same money I was looking at an Outback  at a 2009 with 30-40k, Forester 2010, 40k+. An Approved Skoda comes with 2 years free servicing and a full years manufactures warranty. The Subaru just a warranty. Servicing is around 40% cheaper on the Skoda as and when I need to pay for it as well as being every 10k against subarus 7.5k schedule.

So...with all that research, I decided to go for the Scout. Its not an icon like the Subaru, and certainly no where near as mental as the 2.5 turbo Forster I took out...but my head says its the right car. :)

Graham Nicol

« Reply #13 on: 18/09/2014 at 13:05 »
Well some pretty compelling arguments there of whch I will not challenge. Just a couple of comments. Some of the surveys are based on volume and as there are not many Subarus around they tend never to appear in the top levels. What does worry me though is that Subaru don't really seem to view the UK as a main market and thus Subaru approved garages are few and far between and should you require a part it is unlikley it will be in stock. I am surprise they only supplu Out backs in diesel format. One thing about the Forester I like is the clearance which is necessary for some of the rutted tracks I drive along. Has the Skoda a reasonable clearance?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 18/09/2014 at 13:49 »
Well some pretty compelling arguments there of whch I will not challenge. Just a couple of comments. Some of the surveys are based on volume and as there are not many Subarus around they tend never to appear in the top levels. What does worry me though is that Subaru don't really seem to view the UK as a main market and thus Subaru approved garages are few and far between and should you require a part it is unlikley it will be in stock. I am surprise they only supplu Out backs in diesel format. One thing about the Forester I like is the clearance which is necessary for some of the rutted tracks I drive along. Has the Skoda a reasonable clearance?

I fully agree with what you said :) I truely adore Subarus, but they have let themselves down badly.

I love the last generation of Forester and truely wanted to buy one, but they were just too much for the milage they were being offered with. As for diesels, I took out a diesel XV and was underwhelmed. Then I started to here the crankshaft issues and subarus refusal to except they had a problem. I also understand clutches and gearboxes are becoming problematic. I would certainly not say the Octavia is perfect (especially the older 2.0T petrol) but so far the 1.8 seems to have been a very reliable engine.

Parts for them are expensive. I was looking at £1300 for an exhaust for the outback. To be fair, I am still on the original with 106k on the clock...impressive, but a pain to replace.  I had to get new calipers, OUCH..and they started binding within 5k of fitting :(..genuine parts too. Have to say though, the main dealers have been superb.

The Scout has 7 inches ground clearance and comes with a fully protected (skid pans) underside. Thats an £800 option for the Outback/Forester. I believe the forester is now 8.7 inches, which could be useful.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com