Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Ghillies
« on: 01/09/2014 at 17:13 »
Here's a question I was asked today. I've got no idea what would be considered about right nowadays?

I have a few days fishing coming up on the River Spey and was wondering what the going rate is for tipping the Ghillie? The Ghillie is not in attendance all day just starting us off and visiting periodically throughout the day.

Also an indication of what the going rate is for a full time Ghillie would be of interest to us?

Mike Barrio

Re: Ghillies
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/2014 at 20:15 »
The thing is ................ any tip is a personal decision that I might consider making on the day.

I'm not sure that I, or anybody else, can offer any advice on this?

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 01/09/2014 at 22:21 »
I think you've hit it on the head Mike, shit service/no help.... no tip.
Get a few fish :? Have a great day/week :?
Then tip accordingly :!
Most Ghillies make little more than a basic salary yet most are a veritable gold mine of information who you would be wise to listen to, if you benefit from that experience then a tip is usually gratefully received.
I would suggest that a tip should really be no less than a fiver and in fairness (depending on the number or rods fishing and if it's a day) a nice crisp £10 is probably the going rate.
I have only ever once tipped more than £20 in a day, but I'm not that flush to be handing out much more than that and pay for fishing etc.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2014 at 08:39 »
My ex Desside Ghillie friend says 10% of the cost of the days fishing as a rough guide.

However, he also said that if the ghillie spends the day in the hut and never ventures out, then no tip. In his words, "He has to work for his money".

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2014 at 21:01 »
I once got my wages as a tip so I had double for the week at the time it was £150 so I went home with £300, I got a £30 pound tip on Monday last it made up my day,I once got 6 cans of Export when I got them home they were about 2 years old and undrinkable, one group I ghillied for used to send a Xmas present, I still get a card some nice folks out there
easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com