Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The Black Spider
« on: 29/08/2014 at 17:12 »
Today's photo, the Black Spider ........ are there any fly fishers out there that haven't got these in their fly box!

Is this one of your 'go to' flies? It is certainly one of my favourites on all types of water :cool:

Hamish Young

Re: The Black Spider
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2014 at 19:30 »
........ are there any fly fishers out there that haven't got these in their fly box!

Yes. Me  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2014 at 19:34 »

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2014 at 19:35 »
Yup, seriously.

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 29/08/2014 at 22:27 »
And me too, seriously... :z4
Not thast I'm racist or anything  :z4

:z1

Simon

« Reply #5 on: 30/08/2014 at 09:36 »
I have some commercially bought black spiders  but they don't look like that one. They are much blacker and the fibers of the feather a lot thinner and spikier. I prefer the look of your one Mike.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 30/08/2014 at 09:38 »
wouldn't be without one. as a variant, if you use the softest of fibres i've found that they fold back and give a very nice nymph profile when pulled in stillwaters.

lovely tie Sandy !  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 30/08/2014 at 09:48 »
I have some commercially bought black spiders  but they don't look like that one. They are much blacker and the fibers of the feather a lot thinner and spikier. I prefer the look of your one Mike.

Hi Simon, this one was tied by "spiderman" Sandy.
See http://fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-flies.html

Nothing wrong with your flies, Spiders are normally tied in a much more sparse way and they fish very well like that in my experience :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 30/08/2014 at 10:09 »
wouldn't be without one. as a variant, if you use the softest of fibres i've found that they fold back and give a very nice nymph profile when pulled in stillwaters.

lovely tie Sandy !  :z16

Yep, they fished very well at Haddo over the years Marc.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com