Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Sunley

A Year of River Fishing what have you Learned
« on: 26/08/2014 at 21:11 »
Its almost a Season of River fishing So what have I learned,  When this being my first year on the river quite a lot actually. and thought I share them,

1. Go fishing with Sandy and Mike, You learn a lot by watching them and talking to them appreciation for the stealth approach to river fishing 

2. Don't take Point when fishing with Sand and Mike, Your going to find the hidden holes first and there is no grace in falling over for the 10th time.  :X1

3. Don't go buying all manor of fishing rods they wont make you a better caster,

4. Do buy Mike's fly lines they will help you be a better caster,  Have matched three of my rods to line and are perfect, far better than any of my previous lines.

5. Don't listen to or believe  every tail of caught fish from folk you meet on the river.  :z8

6. Listen to folk your meet on river  they hold key information about the river system and how the river operates, and best places to fish, then default to  5.

7. When you have a leaky wader get them sorted, it's only going to be a very soggy affair, ( mine still not sorted )

8. Blanking on the river is a way of life in river fishing, besides I go to Lochter for a fish fix when the need arises.

9. Don't buy a kill ticket again, there is nothing to kill anyway.  (My Notion was to take my first Salmon ) but am a C&R man anyway ( even at Lochter), but that was my notion at the time of purchase.

10. I have learned how to fish a river beat, I have not learned how to fish a river, that is in the years to come.

My take on a year of river fishing, thanks to people on this forum for the pointers , the PM's and the Flies, you know who you are much appreciated.   :z16

Mike Barrio

Re: A Year of River Fishing what have you Learned
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2014 at 23:35 »
Hi Colin,

Great to see that you're enjoying your time on the river :z16

"Don't buy a kill ticket again, there is nothing to kill anyway" ............... Nice one :z4

By the way, everybody falls over and falls in, it's all part of the fun!

The season is not over yet :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2014 at 08:35 »
Fings wot I av learnt this year!

1. When fishing for Salmon, use a #9 Scandi shooting head and large, heavy tubes and you will catch nice Brownies.

2. When fishing for Trout, use a #4 SLX and small DHE's and you will catch Salmon.

3. When you see Salmon head and tailing on the far bank, do not take that "one extra step" towards them without first making sure the water is not deep.  :X1

4. Ensure you do not invite Mr Cameron along as he will inveriably catch everything (except grayling) as he has golden globes.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2014 at 09:21 »
I've had it re-confirmed that gravity always trumps optimism and prior experience when negotiating 60 degree muddy river bank slopes... yet another Indiana Jones style slide on my backside... Gravity always wins :-)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com