Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Drop of water sir?
« on: 12/08/2014 at 08:05 »
Yesterday my Coastguard teams and I were out evacuating people from houses and stopping folk doing bloody silly things next to the water. All of the emergency services were out and busy, very very busy. But the stuff folk were up to amazed me, selfies next to a rising flooded river with major bits of tree whizzing by :? Well, it could be a form of population control I guess........

So having wanted water for weeks we get sh1tloads in one go. I have never, and I do mean never, seen the River Findhorn so big. The flood scheme was being put through its paces and I expect there'll be questions around Elgin. Again.
Tiny wee burns were raging torrents the size of the Don. It was epic. I'm hoping it'll be less intense today but I see it is still raining......

Feel sorry for the anglers who were supposed to be out yesterday and I imagine the grouse season will start with something of a damp squib.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

Re: Drop of water sir?
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2014 at 09:19 »
The hut at Crathes had a moat yesterday evening but today it was back to being on dry(ish) land.

Strangely, the Feugh was up, but nothing out of the ordinary whilst the Dee had done a passable impression of the Incredible Hulk!

We (Army Reserve) were put on standby to help the civvy Emergency Services, but thankfully no call-out, although I heard this morning that the Royal Guard at Balmoral were up all night laying sandbags. I bet they are happy chappies as they will have to resume normal duties today with no sleep.

Lastly, I was down at the beach/cliffs last night, and looking out to sea, you could see a massive brown "stain" snaking its way out of the Dee mouth, heading miles and miles out to sea. It was rather strange to see.

Matt Henderson

Re:
« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2014 at 09:41 »
The new hut at Crathes is well above where the old one was. I think Brian was quite confident it would never flood!

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2014 at 10:23 »
I heard a story from one of my Coastguards last night.... apparently a farmer on the West side of the Findhorn found three Salmon in a field next to his daughters horses.
I am waiting confirmation........
At least the water has now dropped back.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2014 at 11:03 »
I heard a story from one of my Coastguards last night.... apparently a farmer on the West side of the Findhorn found three Salmon in a field next to his daughters horses.
I am waiting confirmation........
At least the water has now dropped back.

My father ended up in a similar position after sticking his head through the railings of the local fire station when he was a nipper :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com