Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Some interesting points from Lefty Kreh
« on: 25/07/2014 at 09:35 »
I know some of you disagree with his theories, but he does seem to explain things in an easy to understand way.

Magnus Angus

Re: Some interesting points from Lefty Kreh
« Reply #1 on: 25/07/2014 at 20:09 »
I like watching Lefty, great teacher, he comes across as someone who's students must feel they can do it when they take up their rods.

There are technical things I'd disagree with - like the thumb on top or behind as a principle - and if I cast forefinger on top so popular in Europe, or use Jason Borger's Three Point Grip that principle becomes....? Same with too many of his 'principles' I'm afraid, when you really get into it his explanations are not quite right.

Magnus

Bernd Ziesche

Re: Some interesting points from Lefty Kreh
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2014 at 15:38 »
Hi Rob,
I like watching Lefty since he makes it fun to watch always! Great teacher as Magnus said.

Anyway I agree with Magnus about content. Some of his explanantions seem to be a bit outdated.

10:30 "You see the differency in the cast immediately?"
I tend to believe the bird now may have seen what the students saw before. Putting the loop sideways doesn't make it any smaller or better imo.
Teaching that strong rotational movement of the trunk for casting such a short line in my experience often makes it hard to keep proper tip path to shape tight loops. Same goes for using such a wide arc. And again the loops are not tight because they look tight from the horizontal point of view.
Best
Bernd

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com