Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

New sports for the Commonweath Games New
« on: 24/07/2014 at 11:37 »
Its about time we have distance and accuracy casting at the Games.

We already have a commonwealth fly fishing team...just need the event at the Games.

I never thought "fishing" should be part of it as there are far too many variables that may affect results (all the fish being in one place etc), but something like distance casting can be controlled easily.  It would be more exciting to watch than lawn bowls!

suki1312

Re:
« Reply #1 on: 24/07/2014 at 19:41 »
Are you being serious ?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Rob Brownfield

Re:
« Reply #2 on: 25/07/2014 at 08:26 »
Are you being serious ?

Ermmm, Yes. Casting is a massive sport world wide, whether with lead, lure or fly line.

Is there any difference in someone casting a fly line 40 yards to someone putting a shot 20 yards? I can guarentee more people can relate to casting a fly line than putting a shot.

We actually have a world wide competition scene, for seniors, juniors, indoors, outdoors and everythuing inbetween.

http://www.exfi.eu/castingsport-icsf/

Graham Nicol

Re: New sports for the Commonweath Games
« Reply #3 on: 25/07/2014 at 08:43 »
The problem is with both the Olympics and Commonwealth Games there are already too many sports and new ones wanting to muscle in. If I recall correctly kite surfing applied themselves to the Olympics for recognition. The reality is they should shrink by dropping many "fringe" sports and go back to basics. However, women's beach volleyball should still be included!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 25/07/2014 at 09:37 »
If I had my way, I would ban lawn bowls, football and gymnastics :)

Graham Nicol

« Reply #5 on: 25/07/2014 at 10:09 »
.....and synchronised swimming

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 25/07/2014 at 10:46 »
If you think about it, if it were in the Olympics we would take every medal, after all, what to the Yanks, Canadians, New Zealanders, Czechs, Polish, French, Swedes, Danes and so on know about casting? ;)

suki1312

Re:
« Reply #7 on: 01/08/2014 at 07:05 »
And there I thought you were at the leg pulling . To me casting isn't a sport , fishing is a sport . Casting is just an integral part of said sport . As for these so called casting competitions, well enough said the better .

Hamish Young

Re:
« Reply #8 on: 01/08/2014 at 09:33 »
As for these so called casting competitions, well enough said the better .

Go on then, I'll bite..... would you care to elaborate on your views on these 'so called casting competitions' :? I would be very interested to see what you have to say on that  :wink

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 01/08/2014 at 09:43 »
Fishing is not a sport, it is a past time. To catch a fish depends on far too many variables and requires an element of luck in that your peg/swim/section of bank actually has to have fish infront of you for yopu to catch. At something like the Commonwealth Games, you could not ensure a fair and level playing field. Bit like having a swimming race and having one lane with water and the others filled with honey.

Casting is a sport as you are trying to achieve distance through timing, power and technique, same as you would throwing a javelin or putting a shot.

Casting could also be about accuracy, same as in shooting, archery or even lawn bowls.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #10 on: 02/08/2014 at 10:54 »
Agree with most of that Rob, except the pastime bit.

Fishing is definitely a sport, the difference in your perception is how you approach it. Certainly there is a huge part that's purely recreational, but there's also a very strong and heavily organised / regulated competitive side as well.

Football is a sport, but you would class it as pastime if you play it purely recreational and not competitive.  Same goes for golf, bowls, darts, pool, snooker, et all.

suki1312

Re: Re: Re: New sports for the Commonweath Games
« Reply #11 on: 02/08/2014 at 11:00 »
Fishing is not a sport,

Casting is a sport as you are trying to achieve distance through timing, power and technique, same as you would throwing a javelin or putting a shot.

You seem to be getting the two mixed up . Fishing is the sport , Casting is just part of that sport . You'll be telling me next golfing is a waste of time and its only the swing that counts lol

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 02/08/2014 at 11:47 »
Still interested in you elaborating on the 'so called casting competitions' SUKI1312, very interested indeed.

Personally I dislike analogies between fishing and golf, so let's not go there.

Rob makes a fair point about the potential for fly casting to be internationally competitive - we have many events including a world championship - and in its own right I see competitive fly casting as a sport separate (but undeniably linked) to recreational fly fishing. Could competition fly casting be a Commonwealth event :? Well, why not :? There are activities that are recognised as legitimate sports that have not had an outing in recent years (or ever) including Life Saving, Handball, Billiards, Sailing and many others.

You do have to make the distinction between competition fly casting and fly fishing - they're not the same.

As Allan points out it's the individuals choice how they see fly fishing, for some it's recreational, for some it's almost an obsession, for some it's a sport and for some it's a business. I don't see that it's our job to pigeon-hole the choice of the individual into neat rows that fit with our own ideologies or preconceptions.

Equally that should be applied to competition fly casting which has it's place alongside any other competitive event.

My two cents.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 02/08/2014 at 22:30 »
Still interested in you elaborating on the 'so called casting competitions' SUKI1312, very interested indeed.

Personally I dislike analogies between fishing and golf, so let's not go there.

Rob makes a fair point about the potential for fly casting to be internationally competitive - we have many events including a world championship - and in its own right I see competitive fly casting as a sport separate (but undeniably linked) to recreational fly fishing. Could competition fly casting be a Commonwealth event :? Well, why not :? There are activities that are recognised as legitimate sports that have not had an outing in recent years (or ever) including Life Saving, Handball, Billiards, Sailing and many others.

You do have to make the distinction between competition fly casting and fly fishing - they're not the same.

As Allan points out it's the individuals choice how they see fly fishing, for some it's recreational, for some it's almost an obsession, for some it's a sport and for some it's a business. I don't see that it's our job to pigeon-hole the choice of the individual into neat rows that fit with our own ideologies or preconceptions.

Equally that should be applied to competition fly casting which has it's place alongside any other competitive event.

My two cents.

:z16

suki1312

Re:
« Reply #14 on: 08/08/2014 at 21:33 »
You seek my explanation for so called casting comps . You say not to compare it to golf , yet you want to put it on par with life saving and handball and make it a commonwealth event lol . What about welly throwing or cheese rolling would they be of the same importance ?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com