Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Strip, Strip, Pop, Splash, Peacock Bass!
« on: 16/07/2014 at 07:30 »
Morning Gents,

Inspired by Rob's report of Pike smashing surface lures I thought I would let you guys see what I have been up to since I moved to Singapore from Malaysia.

Despite all my Malaysian friends telling me that the fishing in Singapore was terrible I couldn't resist sneaking into the dam beside my house (it's not exactly legal... :X2) to see what there was on offer.

It's safe to say that the stories of Singapore being void of freshwater fish are just that. I've been having great fun throwing poppers and gurglers on the 6# and Sandy's old reel.

I'll let the pictures do the talking  :z12

The above is my biggest to date. 9lbs which was nuts on the trout rod!

And last but by no means least my first ever Giant Gurami. Pound for pound it puts the Peacock/Temensis Bass to shame! The fact that I can stalk them with dries just adds to the appeal. This one took a size 16 dry ant  :z16

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Strip, Strip, Pop, Splash, Peacock Bass!
« Reply #1 on: 16/07/2014 at 08:13 »
Show off!!! lol.

I am sure there is some good carp fishing to be had in Singapore. I remember back in the late 70's going into one of the many fishing shops and his glass counter was covered in photos. One of them showed a chap with 5 or 6 BIG carp. He said they had come from a dam but for the life of me I cannot remember where it was in singapore. Only trouble was they were taken by spear!

Also found this :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2014 at 09:20 »
Awesome Steven  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2014 at 09:21 »
Interesting stuff Steven :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 16/07/2014 at 09:57 »

Despite all my Malaysian friends telling me that the fishing in Singapore was terrible I couldn't resist sneaking into the dam beside my house (it's not exactly legal... :X2) t

Gents,

when Steven tells you it is not exactly legal, what he really means is that there is a sign at the gate saying protected area with a picture of a guy being shot at which certainly got my attention on the morning that I went out with him. Between potentially being shot and the giant monitor lizards February on the Dee does not seem so bad.

Eddie. :z18

The above is my biggest to date. 9lbs which was nuts on the trout rod!

And last but by no means least my first ever Giant Gurami. Pound for pound it puts the Peacock/Temensis Bass to shame! The fact that I can stalk them with dries just adds to the appeal. This one took a size 16 dry ant  :z16

:z18

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com