Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Guys,

As you know, Ben and I have been regulars at the last few CLA Game Fairs. One of the casting competitions we enter (with varying levels of success, to be honest) is the Saltwater Distance. Sadly, I've never made the final, but I do enjoy taking part and can just about deal with the frustration of not being there to compete at the final shoot out :!

You can probably imagine that with just a very few 4 weeks to go I was 'somewhat annoyed' to hear that the Saltwater Distance competition may not be held this year, there has been no word of this on the CLA website nor any mention on any of the angling forums (until very recently) and certainly no mention in any of the magazines. Actually, I was bloody furious to hear it's most likely going to be pulled.

Yes, I do compete in that event but in my honest opinion if it goes from the list of events at the CLA it would be a great shame for single handed competitive fly casting in the UK. The Saltwater Distance is an almost unlimited class, a 'run what you brung' type event with nothing else like it in the UK that I know of. The CLA events are, to my mind, the show-piece of competitive fly casting in the UK with worldwide recognition; so to pull the premier single handed event seems very self-defeating. There are many UK casters who look forward to this event every year - myself obviously included - some of those casters put considerable time and effort into developing their outfits and practising every year.
So to hear at such short notice that the event may well not be held is a bitter body blow indeed.

All is not lost, I am having a constructive dialogue with the head of fishing at the CLA (Chris Ogborne) and if I can get a sufficiently large entry list together then the event might be saved. So here's the rub.... who wants to come down and give it a go :? :!
Know anyone who would :? Please ask them to get in touch with me :!

I have a week to submit my findings to Chris, I would like to say to him we have an entry list that is 20+ casters long... I currently have 11 names.
To save the event for the future I need your help.

Please do ask around, post this information elsewhere, do whatever you can to help keep the event alive.
You could just email Chris to protest, any help is appreciated.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

Re: Possible demise of some CLA casting events
« Reply #1 on: 24/06/2014 at 09:42 »
Is it purely down to numbers that it might be cancelled or is the comp a one horse race and folk are fed up with not being able to come top?

Perhaps having a level playing field would help...much like say a pole vaulter or javlin thrower who must use a standard pole or javalin that meets certain standards...so, everyone must use the same rod/blank. I know I would not enter as my saltwater gear, all be it a Helios, is no match for a 12 weight Method.

I have copied your post and sent it to the PFFA who may have a few people interested as Pike fly distance casting seems to be an up and coming event and not disimiler to your saltwater stuff.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2014 at 10:17 »
Is it purely down to numbers that it might be cancelled or is the comp a one horse race and folk are fed up with not being able to come top?

Good question. Partly it's numbers, there were only 9 entrants last CLA although others who could/should have competed were there.
The reason the numbers are low is because the format and rules need work, it's based rather on one individuals perceptions of what the competition should be and isn't broadly representative of what it needs to be to work. In the cold light of day Chris has made (well almost made) a decision to pull the Open Saltwater Distance..... that is based on the low numbers participating and the £1,000 prize fund. One doesn't justify the other, but I am confident if the rules were more caster friendly then the chances are the event would see a much larger entry field. This year i would suggest that if the prize fund is dropped a trophy substituted things might change....

Perhaps having a level playing field would help...much like say a pole vaulter or javlin thrower who must use a standard pole or javalin that meets certain standards...so, everyone must use the same rod/blank. I know I would not enter as my saltwater gear, all be it a Helios, is no match for a 12 weight Method.

It's a fair point Rob and I can see the merits of a standardised outfit. But, to my mind, part of the attraction of the Open Saltwater event is the 'open' element, folk pushing the boundaries of what is possible with gear, thinking outside of the box and trying something new. That 'imagineering' deserves to be nurtured, sponsored and allowed to flourish. On the day the winner hasn't necessarily had the best gear but has been the best caster, there are so many variables :! I'll be competing with an Orvis Access, a mid-range rod,  but my reserve is distinctly more rooted in budget fishing and is very competitive  :wink

I have copied your post and sent it to the PFFA who may have a few people interested as Pike fly distance casting seems to be an up and coming event and not disimiler to your saltwater stuff.

Thank you Rob, all help is appreciated :!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 24/06/2014 at 14:18 »
Monsieur H,
the amount of flack and criticism this particular event has had over the years, primarily because of its 'not very bright' rules can only be a very strong reason its on the cancel list. i of course empathise with all the disappointed participants but is this decision really a surprise ? me thinks not.
cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 24/06/2014 at 14:53 »
Thanks for your reply Hamish.

Although i don't enter and never wood, it would be a shame if it did not go ahead.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 24/06/2014 at 18:08 »
Monsieur H,
the amount of flack and criticism this particular event has had over the years, primarily because of its 'not very bright' rules can only be a very strong reason its on the cancel list. i of course empathise with all the disappointed participants but is this decision really a surprise ? me thinks not.
cheers,
marc

It's a fair observation Marc but not one that necessarily reflects the full story. The concept of the competition is sound but how the event is run and some of the rules (which are frankly of a different age) cause the unique problems. That has led to the flak and criticism you mention - quite rightly too.

The event should be re-imagined not cut, it should be given the chance to be what it should be under a new helm and new rules in 2015.
This year should be the last year of the current rules giving many many months to get it sorted for the future.

We'll see :!

|H :cool:

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 24/06/2014 at 18:26 »
Never seen the event but there are a few good casters going for it. As far as I can make out from conversations with Ben & H the rules are what may be putting casters off. I feel that it would be a pity if it were lost. At this moment in time we need as many reasons to go to game fairs as possible to keep the profile of fishing.

My tuppence worth :z16

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #7 on: 27/06/2014 at 21:57 »
Monsieur H,
cheers,
marc

Hi Marc

Honestly, the thing that has gotten flack is really the parts of the rules which don't make any sense ie. 12 foot singlehander, line isn't allowed to touch the deck and must remain on reel untill time starts and the basket to some extend. Go down to a 10 foot rod, allow the caster to get the line ready, and extend the time frame to 4 minutes. Keep the basket for the show, but leae out the rule that no part of the line must touch the deck.

The other part that has gotten flack is having obstacls behind in qualification, but as long as it's the same for everybody, it really doesn't matter, best caster will still come out on top.

The fixed gear competition has got the same conditions for qualification, so for those wanting to even the playing field with the gear, that one is open too (albeight, the prize is very much smaller, still have a 50 £ voucher for loomis somewhere here  :X1)

I'd be keen to go again if it wasn't such a chance, when I was there, one of the finalists used up all his time in sorting out a huge tangle from getting the line ready, rookie fishing mistake of putting the line backwards in to the basket, but shit happens in competition... I had a tangle on the reel leaving me no more line out, made for a lot of same length casts but too short for winning, did have a blast though listening to the comments afterwards, and that my lovely wife shouted to hit the fucker from the audience, there was a brief silence after that  :z4

Give me 4 minutes and a chance to sort the line before the clock runs and no 12 weight method will stand a snowballs chance in a warm place against my 8 weight Echo  :z13

I do hope it continues, crossing my fingers and hoping the best!

Cheers
Lasse

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 28/06/2014 at 11:19 »
I agree the time slot is too short and the line management rules just daft, this year I will be using (if it goes ahead) a 9' rod (not a Method) but I have previously used a 10' and if I had the chance I would still rather be using a 10' rod. Trouble is my 'retired' 10' rod struggles with the lines I prefer to use and going lighter has not gone well for me in all conditions.

I am still hopeful, will be chatting to Chris soon to see if enough has been done.

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 28/06/2014 at 23:21 »
Sounds as f##ked up as Formula 1 if you ask me.
What is wrong with ten minutes per angler, run what you brung?
I don't watch F1 any more so why would I spend money to see this? (which is what the organisers MUST be asking?
(hopefully....)

:z1
Bloody rules are killing sport  :mad

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #10 on: 29/06/2014 at 21:57 »
Sounds as f##ked up as Formula 1 if you ask me.
What is wrong with ten minutes per angler, run what you brung?
I don't watch F1 any more so why would I spend money to see this? (which is what the organisers MUST be asking?
(hopefully....)

:z1
Bloody rules are killing sport  :mad

I'd love the 10 minutes, run what you brung... Some Arnold type would show up and cast a 18 footer singlehanded with a bloody 120 gram shootinghead on  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 29/06/2014 at 22:07 »
Funny.... how did you know what I've been working on Lasse  :? :!  :z7

I'd settle for 6 minutes with the current rules which I believe would be much fairer (to allow line husbandry).
That or remove the need for the stripping basket and give Saltwater competitors same amount of time as Spey.

Simples  :z13

:z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 30/06/2014 at 10:25 »
I spoke with Chris Ogborne this morning and made my final appeal for the Open Saltwater Distance event to be retained.

A decision will be reached at the site meeting on Wednesday and Chris has undertaken to call me back as soon as there is a firm aye/nay. I hope we will have an event but, I have to say, it seems that the prize fund of £1K is increasingly looking less likely. That doesn't phase me but I do appreciate the potential winnings are an attraction for more far flung competitors.... pardon the pun  :X1

With no cash prize my list of 16 names willing to enter will drop one or two; but I may pick up some more competitors at the event itself. Who knows :? :!
There has been interest, but not confirmed attendance, from another ten potential competitors.

It's now in the hands of the organising team at the CLA. All I can do now is wait and hope it's been enough.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 30/06/2014 at 12:20 »
Good effort Hamish :z16

Hamish Young

SAVED!!!
« Reply #14 on: 02/07/2014 at 16:23 »
Chris Ogborne has just been off the 'phone and I am delighted to announce - here first folks  :wink - that the Open Saltwater Distance competition has been saved and will go ahead this year :z16

My sincere thanks to all of you who assisted/offered support in making this happen.

This year there will be no cash prizes but, most probably, tackle prizes for 1-3rd places.

Get in.....  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com