Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

A hypothetical question...honest!
« on: 12/06/2014 at 12:05 »
So, imagine a small spate river, maybe 10-12 meters wide.
Just imagine there is a pool, perhaps 30 meters long, averaging about 2-3 feet deep with a steady push.
About half way down is a large rock sticking out the water, and a couple of smaller ones under the surface.
Imagine a couple of salmon sitting just downstream of the rock in question.
Now imagine the bank is tree lined with only a couple of gaps to poke a rod into.

Would you:

• Wade in upstream and fish a fly down to the fish, remembering that the rock means you can only swing a fly to a fish, not past its nose...so effectively fish the fly on the dangle. very little room to cast, would have to be a 9 foot rod.

Wade in Downstream and flick a fly up to the fish, maybe a Sunray, and strip it back hoping the fish will follow.

Stand opposite and flick a small Mepps spinner as close to the rock and wind it back across the fishes nose.

Any other legal method (no worming allowed).

Hypothetical of course...and if I catch the fish, I will post the hypothetical photo too :)

Eddie Sinclair

Re: A hypothetical question...honest!
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/2014 at 13:00 »
Rob,

I would try both methods with the fly, assuming that the first method failed. I would not do the mepps thing as I do not posses a spinning rod, however I would try and get directly opposite the fish and rip a large sunray passed them at warp factor 3 just under or on the surface as this would be the most likely method to get a response, hypothetically speaking.

Eddie.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2014 at 07:48 »
Eddie, If I could get opposite with a fly rod and sunray, that would be my first option, but the fish is sitting (hyperthetically) about 4 meters out and there are big overhanging trees on both banks. There is a small openning big enough to squeeze a small spinning rod through.

I may be able to get above the fish, throw a couple of mends out the way and drift the fly down, then, strip so the fly shoots off at a angle to the fish rather than straight upstream.

I may also go down with a chain saw and do some logging!

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2014 at 09:01 »
I may also go down with a chain saw and do some logging!

Hypothetically, of course  :cool: Have you gone all colonial on us Rob :? What's with this meter shit :? Metres.....

:z13

H :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com