Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Mullet in Scotland?
« on: 02/06/2014 at 16:55 »
I guess you'll all have seen Mullet in the harbours on the Med in places like Spain ....... but do we get them in Scotland, or the UK? Can't say I've ever seen them around the coast here.

Cheers
Mike

Duncan Inglis

Re: Mullet in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/2014 at 20:29 »
Only place I've seen them is on the lower reaches of the Stinchar, they were coming in with the salmon, this on the tide. Managed to hook a couple but couldn't land them, they went mad in the shallow water when hooked!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 03/06/2014 at 08:28 »
Mike, the answer is yes. I don't want to give to much away so I will PM you.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 03/06/2014 at 08:34 »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2014 at 09:27 »
Not looking to fish for them Rob :cool:

I was out for a wander around the coast at the weekend and had forgotten just how clear the water can be in harbours like Portsoy. In marinas and harbours like this in the Med you can have fun watching shoals of mullet and other species of fish, but I rarely spot fish in our harbours, at least fish of any size ..... hence the curiosity.

Here's a photo I took of a shoal of mullet in Spain :wink

Cheers
Mike

Will Shaw

« Reply #5 on: 03/06/2014 at 09:48 »
Hi Mike

I've seen them off the West Coast (although only South/mid-Scotland). Haven't seen them over on our side, although I'm sure they're there somewhere!

W.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 03/06/2014 at 11:03 »
I saw Bernd make a query on Facebook and gave it some thought last night. I know of sporadic pockets of Grey Mullet on the East coast above Montrose but do not recall seeing any above the Firth of Clyde on the West. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't heard about them.
I've been told there are Mullet near to me, but I have yet to venture out and try to spot them. Certainly haven't seen any loitering around local harbours.

H :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 03/06/2014 at 11:04 »
I remember watching mullet at Ullapool a couple of times when we were up visiting.
But i've never seen any on the east coast

Sandy

Ross

« Reply #8 on: 09/06/2014 at 07:42 »
Plenty of mullet to be had so long as you're willing to put the time and effort in!

Sandford bay after a series of flat calm sea's and 'churning' the water with a bread/mackerel mix for a few days can throw up good results. You're also in with a chance of Bass although its more fun to plug for them :z12

Boddam Harbour and Portknockie Harbour also host the occasional mullet too.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2014 at 13:57 »
Good shoals of 'em around Islay, chased a few in Port Ellen Bay many moons ago.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com