Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Mayflies
« Reply #15 on: 20/05/2014 at 06:51 »
Just so. S'not complicated.

W.

About as uncomplicated as referring to any upwinged insect as a and Olive, Will  :z7

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 20/05/2014 at 07:56 »
About as uncomplicated as referring to any upwinged insect as an Olive, Will  :z7

Ben

I've heard that as well :z7

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 20/05/2014 at 10:11 »
Whats wrong with describing them as "you know, the fluttery ones with the antlers and solid wings!"...

Ben Dixon

« Reply #18 on: 20/05/2014 at 12:15 »
I've heard that as well :z7

Sandy

Yup, highly descriptive and most helpful isn't it  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 20/05/2014 at 13:03 »
I say old chap

It was Baetis scambus that was hatching yesterday afternoon

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #20 on: 20/05/2014 at 16:14 »
I say old chap

It was Baetis scambus that was hatching yesterday afternoon

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Small Dark would have sufficed Sandy and I would have know what you were talking about, Mayfly would have just confused me.  10/10 though  :z4

Ben

Will Shaw

« Reply #21 on: 20/05/2014 at 16:17 »
It's funny Ben, you're not normally that easily confused. Is it just when you're being PICKY?  :z4 :z2

Anyway, Mayflies sounds much nicer than upwings.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #22 on: 20/05/2014 at 20:43 »
It's funny Ben, you're not normally that easily confused. Is it just when you're being PICKY?  :z4 :z2

Anyway, Mayflies sounds much nicer than upwings.

Will,

I'm not confused, far from it and generally try my hardest not to confuse anyone else. 

The fact that different species of Ephemerids are found in different habitats and simply will not be present in some places is a damn good reason not to use the accepted common name for one particular Ephemerid to describe any insect from that order. 
I'd certainly never use 'Mayfly' generically when teaching as it has an accepted meaning, it refers to something specific.  To do so could be confusing and is factually incorrect and I'm not in the habit of wilfully teaching stuff that is incorrect or confusing, whether it sounds good or not.  If you consider  that to be picky then fair enough, I can live with that  :X2

Enough debate about Claret Duns, I need to finish my Mayfly box (like proper actual Mayflies for anyone who may be confused) for my upcoming trip.

Ben

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 20/05/2014 at 21:23 »
Small Dark would have sufficed Sandy and I would have know what you were talking about.

Gotcha :z16

In that case Mike and I did the ythan this afternoon, we saw no small darks, but did see some big yellows, various sizes of brown hairys and a lot of tiny blacks. :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 20/05/2014 at 21:48 »
A lot of wings on the water today and a funny sounding beast in the trees too ...... apparently the castle is haunted Sandy :shock

Cheers
Mike

Will Shaw

« Reply #25 on: 20/05/2014 at 23:04 »
Will,

I'm not confused, far from it and generally try my hardest not to confuse anyone else. 

The fact that different species of Ephemerids are found in different habitats and simply will not be present in some places is a damn good reason not to use the accepted common name for one particular Ephemerid to describe any insect from that order. 
I'd certainly never use 'Mayfly' generically when teaching as it has an accepted meaning, it refers to something specific.  To do so could be confusing and is factually incorrect and I'm not in the habit of wilfully teaching stuff that is incorrect or confusing, whether it sounds good or not.  If you consider  that to be picky then fair enough, I can live with that  :X2

Enough debate about Claret Duns, I need to finish my Mayfly box (like proper actual Mayflies for anyone who may be confused) for my upcoming trip.

Ben

Cheers

Ben

OK. Fair enough Ben. Your logic is unassailable, I accept that.

Nevertheless, it seemed that most of the people reading this thread are either  (a) happy to use the terms interchangeably and or (b) can cope with the fact that a single term can mean two things without their brains exploding or the sky falling in.

The problem Ben, is that "Mayfly" isn't a scientific term (that's why we have Danica etc) it's a common name, and it is FACTUALLY CORRECT to say that "Mayfly" has TWO accepted meanings. Just because you don't accept one of them doesn't make it go away.

On the teaching thing I say words to the following effect:

"This group of insects are referred to as either up-wings or the mayflies. The latter term can be confusing because there is a single species which, in the UK, is known as The Mayfly. etc. etc."

This gives them all the info they need. It prepares them for the fact that many people and books refer to the group as mayflies, as well as telling them that it may refer to a single species.

What will confuse them is ignoring the fact that the term "mayflies" can have two meanings. Tell them it has two potential meanings and they know to ask clarifying questions to get the facts straight.

W.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #26 on: 21/05/2014 at 08:33 »
Well the BBC appears to be convinced that "mayflies" means all insects of the order Ephemeropera. This is from the nature pages on their website

"Mayflies

Mayflies are famed for their short adult life. Some species have under an hour to mate and lay their eggs before they die. Their pre-adult stage, known as the subimago, may be even shorter - perhaps lasting just lasting a few minutes before they moult into their adult form. So a mayfly spends most of its life as a nymph, hidden from view under the water. Despite their short life, mayflies are a very successful order of insects. There are over 2,000 different species found everywhere except the Arctic, Antarctic and some oceanic islands.

Scientific name: Ephemeroptera

Common names:     Dayflies,    Lake flies,    Shadflies"

:z8
Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 21/05/2014 at 10:39 »
Anyway if we all want to be Anal about it all.

There are 3 species of 'Mayfly' in the UK

Ephemera danica - Green Drake Mayfly
Ephemera lineata - Striped Mayfly
Ephemera vulgata - Drake Mackerel Mayfly

We all know which one you mean, But it isn't actually the 'Mayfly'

As long as people can differentiate the types of flies, then at least they will know what their DHE is copying  :z7.

Now i see what the post was for, its silly and should finish :z16

Sandy

Will Shaw

« Reply #28 on: 21/05/2014 at 11:13 »
 :z16

Colin Sunley

« Reply #29 on: 21/05/2014 at 12:39 »

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com