Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Dee doom, Don boom
« on: 08/05/2014 at 12:24 »
Ok, maybe the Don is not booming, but it rhymed :)

Anyway, read in T&S letters page this month about the Dee seemingly having a real lack of Salmon and how we should be worried. The letter was from someone who fishes the Dee a fair bit and mentioned he has seen very few fish running the lower reaches and those fish being caught in the middle reaches are possibly repeat captures.

I spend a lot of of time on the Dee just now, mostly walking, but some fishing too. I have to say, its pretty rare just now to see anything move at all. Of those fish I have seen in the last month, I am pretty sure some are resident and I am seeing them more than once in the same spot.

I have also been watching the Feugh for the last 6 weeks, and I have not seen a single fish try and run the falls, despite there having been a few lifts of water. This time last year I was seeing the odd sea trout having a go and salmon sitting below at the junction with the Dee.

on the other hand, I have seen salmon on just about every trip to the Don this year.

Should we be worried that the Dee has something wrong with it?

Hamish Young

Re: Dee doom, Don boom
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2014 at 19:24 »
I like fishing the Dee, but I think it enjoys a celebratory status these days which demonstrably the quality of fishing doesn't deserve.
I have no doubt whatsoever that the fishing will come back to an extent, but the fishing is not what the fishing pimps would have you believe it is and that I find frustrating.
Let's not forget, it was only 20 years ago that the Dee was on its knees. It will take a long time to make it right, it's a major undertaking - a generation project, if you will.
So, should we be worried that the Dee has something wrong with it :?
Yes.
Should we also worry about lots of other significant waters too :?
Yes.
Will anything be done about it :?
Now that is the question we should all be interested in hearing the answer to :wink

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2014 at 07:48 »
 :z16 :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2014 at 14:04 »
I like fishing the Dee, but I think it enjoys a celebratory status these days which demonstrably the quality of fishing doesn't deserve.
I have no doubt whatsoever that the fishing will come back to an extent, but the fishing is not what the fishing pimps would have you believe it is and that I find frustrating.
Let's not forget, it was only 20 years ago that the Dee was on its knees. It will take a long time to make it right, it's a major undertaking - a generation project, if you will.
So, should we be worried that the Dee has something wrong with it :?
Yes.
Should we also worry about lots of other significant waters too :?
Yes.
Will anything be done about it :?
Now that is the question we should all be interested in hearing the answer to :wink

H :cool:

Excellent post Hamish  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com