Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jeff Donovan

Surface lure?
« on: 30/04/2014 at 23:41 »
I have frequently caught sea trout at night using a surface lure. I have seen dvd's etc. of riffle hitch tubes, deer hair bombers and such like, catching salmon in Iceland and Russia, now does this style of fishing prove to be effective in British waters for salmon?

Hamish Young

Re: Surface lure?
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2014 at 08:00 »
You know, I don't think I've ever intentionally fished a fly as a surface lure for Salmon on a river.
I have caught them whilst after Sea Trout but I don't recall intentionally targeting Salmon with a surface lure.

Lochs are a different matter and I've had plenty of fish in the past to Muddlers and the like fished relatively quickly and hard on the surface.

So if a surface fly works on a Loch there's no reason why it might not work on a river.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

Re: Surface lure?
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2014 at 10:19 »
The last 4 salmon I had off the Dee last year all came to plastic tubed Sunray Shadows (about 3" wing length) hitched, cast square and stripped across the surface with as big a V as I could get.

The 4 fish landed were a small proportion of those hooked (using a size 10 single barbless)..and of those lost, they were a small proportion of those that slashed at the fly.

If every take was converted to landed fish, over three sessions I would have had around 30 fish!

One of the guys I was fishing with saw what I was doing and begged a Sunray to borrow. He had a sea liced fish of 28lbs within 10 minutes.

It has to be the most exciting method I have ever fished, for any fish, anywhere.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com