Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dorlo

Dun imitations for right now
« on: 16/04/2014 at 20:04 »
Hey all,
What are your favourite Dun patterns for this time of year? I've been finding lately that when I see fish taking Duns (LDOs mostly, or something a bit smaller), I'm torn between a high floating traditional hackled fly to really get the fish's attention,  or something more subtle that sits in the film, usually with a CDC wing.

I've had some success with both but it's been a bit inconsistent and unpredictable, and I'm looking for a 'go to' pattern based on local knowledge.

When the fish are taking emergers the DHE or pheasant tail with partridge hackle has worked well for me.

So what are the Dun patterns I should be tying for this time of year?

Cheers

Liam Stephen

Re: Dun imitations for right now
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2014 at 20:22 »
Hi Dorlo,

My go to Dun immitaion is one by Dave Downie. YouTube shows the tying sequence. I like the leggy look of the thorax it gives a really nice footprint.

Really simple to tie.

In my eyes it out fishes the JT Olive which used to be my favourite Dun pattern.

Cheers
Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2014 at 20:23 »
I stick with the DHE or a waterhen bloa.
A fish feeding on duns will not usually refuse a cripple :wink

Sandy

Dorlo

« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2014 at 21:23 »
Couple of good options there, thanks guys.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2014 at 00:05 »
Hi Dorlo,

My go to Dun immitaion is one by Dave Downie. YouTube shows the tying sequence. I like the leggy look of the thorax it gives a really nice footprint.

Really simple to tie.

In my eyes it out fishes the JT Olive which used to be my favourite Dun pattern.

Cheers
Liam

Nice those but they are just the same as the 'Ben Dixon Dun' with less CDC and shorter tails  :z4

I wonder how many other patterns I (or we all) have in our boxes that are things we have just knocked up one night over the winter that are almost identical to something someone else has already claimed or stuck a name to?  First guy I saw tie something like that was Paul Procter, he used mole as the thorax and Orvis Superfine dubbing for abdomen, I use fox squirrel guard hairs mixed through the mole on mine and microfibbets for tails as they last better than natural fibres.

Liking the fly holder, did you get that from Iain?

Cheers

Ben

Dorlo

« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2014 at 07:28 »
Very simple example, but I recently started tying my PT nymphs with a partridge hackle just because I thought it would add an extra trigger for the fish... and now thanks to this forum I know it's called an Endrick spider. Great minds...

Liam Stephen

« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2014 at 08:53 »
Dorlo

Try a CDC hackle as well. Deadly!  :z16

Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 17/04/2014 at 09:00 »

First guy I saw tie something like that was Paul Procter, he used mole as the thorax and Orvis Superfine dubbing for abdomen, I use fox squirrel guard hairs mixed through the mole on mine and microfibbets for tails as they last better than natural fibres.

I'm liking the sound of that Ben. I'm going to tie a few up!

Liking the fly holder, did you get that from Iain?

Yeah it's just on loan as my Banana went mouldy...  :lol

Liam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 18/04/2014 at 09:37 »
hi Dorlo

I've been using a simple CDC winged pattern. Think an F-fly but on a curved hook (e.g. kamasan B100). Thread body. And that's it. very simple, very quick, very light, and has been kind to me this year. Will get a pic up later.

cheers
iain

Dorlo

« Reply #9 on: 21/04/2014 at 20:56 »
Sounds like 'less is more' is the way to go.

While waiting for some moorhen wings to arrive, I've tied some Bloas with the same feather from the outside of a Mallard wing... I have to say they look pretty good and the colour looks about right.

Anyone else used Mallard?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com