Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

One Fly Season
« on: 09/04/2014 at 08:42 »
There I was tying like a maniac getting my box filled will all sorts.... DHE, Jinglers, JT Olives and so on. I don't know why I bothered!

I know it still early doors but I'm pretty confident I could fish the CDC n Elk all season long with good returns. It's caught 95% of my fish so far during the LDO and MB hatches, it is an excellent Sedge immitaion and I'm sure in smaller sizes (sub 20) would be great for those tricky smutting trout. You can fish it dry, damp, wet, twitched, swung and stripped.... It is in my eyes the ultimate fly!

I'm toying with the idea of filling another box with it in a handful of sizes and a few colours. I'm up for a challenge.

If you Don Trout guys could have only one fly what would it be?

:z18
Liam

Stuart Smith

Re: One Fly Season
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2014 at 10:58 »
Hi Liam

Im not a don fisherman, I have fished but I fish rivers south of Aberdeen more. If I could pick one dry fly it would have to be a hares ear klink on a B100 size 16

but if I was to pick the ultimate fly it would have to be a size 6 longshank white and silver shuggie. I know a lot of people say its not the proper way to catch fish but I fish a lot of streamers now because they are so versatile.from fast sink heads to floating, searching deep runs to rising fish. fish it right and you will get fish from half a pound to over five.

Its all about time on the water learning

Stuart

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2014 at 13:09 »
If you Don Trout guys could have only one fly what would it be?

Last year, I'd have said a DHE in size 14
This year, having found a practical way to get my fingers into some frog's fanny, I'll say a CDC emerger pattern in size 14.
yours suggestively
Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 09/04/2014 at 16:35 »
having found a practical way to get my fingers into some frog's fanny

yours suggestively
Iain

Iain  :z4

That sounds wrong dude!

Liam

Andy Finlay

« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2014 at 22:43 »
Liam, I've found the cdc and elk to be very useful for wild trout on lochs as well and probably my best fly on the don, the fact you can drop it like a brick and it still float suits my casting style perfectly  :oops

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com