Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter Harsagyi

leader formula for 5wt distance casting?
« on: 05/04/2014 at 00:38 »
Hi guys,

is there some secret leader formulas out there for 5wt distance casting?

I experiment with different lengths and diameters - tapered, knotted, but haven't found my grail leader for this application.

What do you use?

thanks,
Peter

Peter Harsagyi

Re: leader formula for 5wt distance casting?
« Reply #1 on: 05/04/2014 at 00:48 »
...sorry just realized it should go to the casting-section... :oops

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 05/04/2014 at 08:23 »
 :z16

H :cool:

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 05/04/2014 at 09:20 »
Nothing complicated works for me, I use a simple stiff nylon tapered leader to about 10' long.

H :cool:

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 06/04/2014 at 23:11 »
hi Peter,
either a 'lotta butt' homemade or a pre-made bonefish leader like Rio's.
it's not supposed to turn over pretty but it needs to turn over.
what goes hand in hand with this is the fluff at the end. hi-viz egg yarn's best, 1' or so long and thin. (separate the strand down the middle once or twice)
cheers,
marc

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 07/04/2014 at 09:53 »
On a GT125 I use 4' 15lb brown Maxima nail knotted to the end of the line with 5' of the same in 10lb BS on the front with some indicator yarn.  For 7wt I use 2' 20lb, 3' 15lb & 4' 10lb.

Cheers

Ben

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #6 on: 27/06/2014 at 22:06 »
My standard comp leader (and practice leader) is made up of  app. 5 feet 30 lbs red Amnesia app. 3 feet of 20 lbs flat mono shootingline ( I use a local brand that is pink, but Rio's blue slickshooter works a treat too) and then app. 2 feet of berkley XT solar trolling line, it's bright green and breaking strength varies for distance it's 18 lbs and for accuracy it's 12 lbs to be legal. Turns over really well and is easily seen on grass. Nothing worse than having the person that is measuring spending time searching for the fluff in the grass. Bright orange, pink or red fluff (globug yarn) works very well.

Cheers
Lasse

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com