Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

paul w

somewhere to fish?
« on: 23/03/2014 at 17:08 »

hi guys been long time since i posted and not getting a line wet enough but hey ho

strange request....

looking for somewhere to fish but just somewhere for trout / brownies

but thinking of taking the caravan...would like to get it close ish to water and be able to tharsh some water and then relax waterside wi a wee malt or the like

just a night to get away with the going thru the motions and relax.... if lucky enought to catch a specimen for the fire even better?

nothing hours n hours away ....im in montrose but was thinking west a bit or aberdeenshire ..ish?

cheers
paul

Hamish Young

Re: somewhere to fish?
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2014 at 17:26 »
Paul,

It might be easier to say just how far you are willing to go - maybe an hour :? Two perhaps ???
If we say that as you're towing a caravan you're going to be blocking the roads and generally getting in the way of sane motorists travelling slowly and not likely to get much further than 36 miles in an hour (or maybe even that far in two hours :? :!  :z7) your travel radius from Montrose is then sorted :z16
Would you prefer river or loch :?

H :cool:

paul w

« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2014 at 19:40 »

hi Hamish

river or loch not fussed...to be honest not done much fishing very much a novice ...only thing ive really done is trout fisheries.

say 2hrs fae Montrose .....& not hard n fast on caravan.... might be less obtrusive with the tent

cheers
paul

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 23/03/2014 at 20:01 »
http://www.anglingintayside.co.uk/fishingcentres.asp?CentreID=4

Paul,

use this link for a few ideas not too far from Montrose. I would suggest a wee trip to loch Shandra in Glenisla. There are a couple of boats and the brownies are free rising and it is in a nice setting.

Happy hunting,

Eddie. :z18

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 23/03/2014 at 20:14 »
Shandra is a lovely wee loch, and I think there are caravan sites close by. Should be around d 1 1/2 hrs or so from the Mo. :z12

paul w

« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2014 at 07:09 »

cheers gents !!!

seems a good wee site / link that!!!

dinnae think ill bother with the "van" up there on wee roads..... tent less obtrusive etc

im home from offshore today ....think a wee drive for a reccee could be in order

just want to get away form doing stocked rainbow ponds....saying that not even done a lot of that for a wee while

any advice on fly choices for "shandra"  type fishing?

thanks again guys

paul

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 24/03/2014 at 09:45 »
Standard loch wets... Black Pennel, soldier palmer, Kate McLaren etc. Above all else a Deer Hair Sedge. that would be my starting point.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 24/03/2014 at 13:30 »
Paul,
on fly choice I agree with Peter along with the addition of some DHE and some hares lug cdc which can be chucked out blind and often bring up a troot or 2 on Shandra.

Eddie. :z18

paul w

« Reply #8 on: 27/03/2014 at 19:21 »
Cheers
Guys

Had a drive today but got as far as backwater reservoir .... Kids kicking off on the motor ... Next time I'll go myself !!!!

Paul

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com