Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Mike, Fair play to you the fish that you caught were down to your skill on the day and that is not something that can be taught. I have spent many days opposite you and regardless of how many fish I have caught it has been a pleasure to be on the other bank from someone who so obviously gets it.

Mike,

I hope that you get better and can weld the double hander soon. Otherwise I will have no opposition.

Finally,
There are not many fishers that I see as serious competition on the other side so I want to see you healthy as soon as possible

regards,

Eddie :z18 :z18

Mike Barrio

A wee peep at the prize ..... the flies are all tied on barbless hooks :wink

Hamish Young

I thought long about this as there are a couple of patterns I could choose..... difficult to make the choice but in the end it came down to which fly have I had the most success with on rivers in the last five years, and it's a Salmon fly.

The fly that - almost in any conditions - reminds me that wherever you choose to look there's probably fish about.
The fly a Spey Ghillie said 'will never catch any sort of fish in bright conditions' and immediately went on to catch a 4lb Brown Trout.
A fly that I will chuck on when I need a confidence inspirer every time over anything else.
A fly that has given me more hair-raising experiences with Salmon in the past five years than any other.
A fly that reminds me just how visual Salmon fishing really can be.
A fly that has actually caught me more good trout than you would maybe expect......

The favourite fly that is in my Salmon box or, more truthfully, in a jacket pocket, trouser pocket, wader pocket or simply 'to hand', is the Sunray Shadow.
Never leave home without one.

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

Great stuff Hamish ...... but you're gonna need a photo to stand a chance of winning :z16

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

they don't show up on film or in mirror reflections, Mike....  :X2 :z4 :X2

Hamish Young

Great stuff Hamish ...... but you're gonna need a photo to stand a chance of winning :z16

Cheers
Mike

Aye, I don't know what happened to 1st upload.... anyway..... here's two, just for the hell of it:

Mike Barrio

Hi folks :cool:

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for all the excellent entries ..... it certainly hasn't been easy to choose a winner! :z8

But there has to be a winner ..... and the winner this time is Sandy :z14

Thanks once again!
Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

congrats !!!  :z16

Rob Brownfield

I never had any photos, hence waiting for the comp to finish, but the first fly I tied was when I was perhaps 8 or 9. I lived in Essex and had never seen a trout fly, let alone a trout. However, I did have a book, a paperback, and in it there was some rough, hand drawn pictures of trout flies. I was mesmorised.

Now, living in Essex in the 70's I did not have access to fly tying materials or equipment so I had to hunt out stuff. First stop was my fathers shed where I found a mini metal working vice. This was used to hold a pair of forceps in which went a size 10 hook.

Next stop was my mothers needlework box where I found thread and wool.

Lastly, the budgie cage was raided. We had a blue budgie, so naturally, my first ever fly was blue. The fly itself was my version of a Greenwells Glory. It had a blue body, blue "hackle" and the wings were whole budgie feathers.

To me it was the most glorious thing I had ever made (except of coure, an Airfix Mosquito).

I would love to tell you of the huge Thames trout it caught, or the Brownie from the River Lea, but alas, that fly never saw the water. It was placed in a box and forgotten about.

It was not until I was 14 that I picked up my first fly rod. The flies I bought were Sweeny Todds, Missionarys and Zulus...none of which shared the glorious blues of my first fly.

Sandy Nelson

:oops

Didn't expect that. Thank you :z18

I don't need any more flies or boxes, can we donate them to a good cause like the wild trout trust auction or similar?

Cheers

Sandy

Liam Stephen

Nice gesture that  :z16

:z18
Liam

Marc Fauvet

:oops

Didn't expect that. Thank you :z18

I don't need any more flies or boxes, can we donate them to a good cause like the wild trout trust auction or similar?

Cheers

Sandy

:z16 :z16 :z16

Hamish Young

Nice idea and I have a suggestion if Sandy approves :z17

Beauly Angling Club are putting together a junior angler development programme this year to bring more young anglers into the sport.
How about donating the flies and box to the junior who does the best during the year :? One idea.......

Sandy Nelson

Nice idea and I have a suggestion if Sandy approves :z17

Beauly Angling Club are putting together a junior angler development programme this year to bring more young anglers into the sport.
How about donating the flies and box to the junior who does the best during the year :? One idea.......

Sounds like an excellent idea to me, i'll get them sent up :z18

Cool

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Great stuff :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com