Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Tell us about your favourite fly pattern in your fly box :z12

Why is it your favourite, did you tie it, did you buy it, when/where/how does it work, stories related to it? ...... Use your imagination, you've got to really make us feel that we need one of these flies! Plus of course we are going to want to see a great photo of your fly :wink

The entry posted in this thread that I like best will win a fly box full of flies :z16

Entries close on Sunday night at midnight and the prize will be posted to the winner next week :wink

Not a forum member? Register now, sorted :z4

Have fun!
Mike

Mike Barrio

This competition is open to everybody except me, as I'll choose the winner :z4 So the moderators can join in this one too and I'll post the prize anywhere in the world :z16

Cheers
Mike

Jonathan Kerr

Ok I’ll get the ball rolling…

When I noticed this post the other night it got me thinking.

What really is my favourite fly?... Any why?

Being relatively new to river fishing, the flies I kept thinking of first were loch type flies such as the bibio and kate mclaren.  I love those two flies.  For me they have proven themselves as fish catchers and as a result, when I’m fishing what is usually a windswept cold loch somewhere, they are rarely far from my cast.

I then thought of some of my favourite river flies.  Again there are a few that I keep coming back to time and time again when fishing the Don. DHE, GRHE and some Pennell variants to name a few.  

But when it comes down to it, there really only is one fly that could lay claim to such a title as’ my favourite fly’, and that’s the one that started all this fly fishing madness….

The black magic fly (size 16).

Just over ten years ago my cousin Marvin Tait, an awesome fisherman from Shetland that some of you may even know, took me for my first casting lesson in my back garden.  Not long after he bought me a fly rod set up and we were soon out on Tingwall Loch for my first fishing trip. I recall it being a very calm, lovely summers night. Marvin gave me a small black fly and told me to fish it slowly, figure 8 style. Sure enough it worked, and it wasn’t too long into the night when my rod started going crazy and I was into my first ever fish on the fly.  After a good scrap I landed a lovely trout weighing just over the pound.  Sadly catch and release wasn’t really something I thought of or even knew about back then, and as you can see from the photo below it didn’t exactly end well for the fish..

All thanks to that one little black fly I now spend far too much time fishing, or thinking about fishing at least! Unfortunately the photo above wasn’t the original fly, but very similar. I tied this one tonight after work, the hen I used was a little whispy for my liking so added an extra turn or two to compensate,  but its a decent enough representation that I’ll definitely fish with on the river this season.  For anyone new to tying, or fishing, give it a go, It’s a cracker.

Jonathan

Mike Barrio

Hi Jonathan :cool:
Excellent start to the competition thanks! Nice fly, great post with photos and a good story too :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

i'd already shared this fly here but after thinking about it for a while it surely counts as my most memorable.

Reversed-Parachute Midge Emerger or 'one fish, two fish, three fish, eight !

directly inspired by Roy Christie’s fantabulous Reverse-Parachute, the idea of incorporating Roy’s hackle and thorax design to an emerging midge abdomen lit up and this is what came out of it.
this is a size 16 copy of the original, the first one having been selfishly brought home by some overly-excited slimy brute, Mister Nine.

it’s pretty rare that a fly gets so much attention on it’s first try , specially without additional tweaking.
first cast with the new pattern = first fish. second cast = second fish, third cast, ditto.
in the excitement i lost count of which one of the eight fish landed it was, but one of the them jumped out of the water to take the fly on the way back down, making an enormous big splash, an instant and automatic hook-up while having me WooP-WooooP for all to hear.
now, i  rarely WooP-WooooP but this kind of fishy action is as good as it gets !  i’m pretty sure the only ones who heard it where a local gang of crows but i’m also sure that just like me they’ll never forget this moment. Mister Nine kept it for his own collection and the special half hour ended.

another one size 18 with it’s little cousin nymph size 22 to hang below the emerger on a dropper-

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

Hi Marc :cool:
Another excellent entry to the competition thanks! As above, nice fly, great post with photos and a good story too :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

When i first started tying flies, i used the patterns which i cut out from the anglers mail and pasted into a scrap book.
I still have the scrap book and all the cut-outs. Which is interesting as anyone who knows me, knows i am very rarely sentimental about anything, if something is not being used then it should be moved on. However it seems fly-tying is my one sentimental indulgence :grin

So this post got me thinking and it didn't take long to identify my favourite fly.

This one of a pair of flies i tied when i was 11. It was tied entirely from fibres from a tawny owl wing feather, that i found while walking along the river with my Grandad. The other fly had a full Blue dun collar hackle as it was a dry fly but they both had a  blue dun cock hackle tail. I had picked up the feather because it was pretty, however this was my first season of river fly fishing and it was very frustrating trying all sorts of flies that i had tied based on the patterns i had been collecting ( i had previously tried fly-fishing on resevoirs with my cousin, but never caught anything). Other than the odd suicidal parr i was not doing that great.
Anyway one day i had been trying without success to catch a couple of rising fish, so i stopped fishing and just watched for a while to see what they were eating, i can not remember the fly they were feeding on but i think it may have been an olive of some desciption. Anyway when i returned home i sat at my flytying vice with my box of bits and tried to copy what i had seen, the fly above, was the first one i tied, then i thought i needed the hackle to make it float so tied the other with a Blue dun cock hackle, it otherwise looked very similar to the photo.

The following weekend i returned to the river with Grandad and he turned a blind eye while i waded out as far as my wellies would let me :z7. Then i could reach the rising fish, i tied on my dryfly dressed it with liquid muscilin (i can still smell it now :cool:) )and drifted it over the fish. she rose and took the fly straight away, a few minutes later Grandad and I landed an 11" stocked rainbow trout, the biggest fish i'd ever caught and my first one off the river that was over 6" it was Magic  :z12 i can still remember that feeling now.
Now there was still a fish rising under the same trees, so with my prize safely tucked in my fishing bag i waded back out to try again, this time the fish was beyond my range so i waded out a bit further and filled my wellies with water :z4 however i was now able to let the fly drift down in the current to reach the fish, so i payed out the line and let the fly drift, up came the fish and again i was hooked up into a decent size fish :z16
when i got back to the bank we landed a lovely 11" Grayling, it was by far the prettiest thing i had ever seen and i have had a major soft spot for the lady of the stream ever since.

I remember my mum trying to be cross with me for being soaking wet, i remember Grandad hanging around just long enough for me to produce my prize and enjoy my excitement when Mum couldn't be cross with me anymore.
I even remember eating them for my tea :grin My heart is pounding now as i write this :z4.

I have over the years managed to loose the Dryfly, i don't remember where or when but the wet fly is still in my flybox and even still gets used from time to time although it has spent the last few years in my Master box and now i do have a sentimental attachment to it :roll
I now realise this was Me starting on my own journey and that fly and day have set the precedent for whole fishing life.

Looking at it, i can see why it worked, when Red tags and Coachmans were failing but to an 11 year old boy it was just Magic :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Hi Sandy :cool:
Another excellent entry to the competition thanks! A very interesting fly and photo, with such a great story too :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

nice one Sandy. love the story !  :z16

Mike Thornton

I initially tied this fly about 14 years ago. It was simply a "none-such". Something to perhaps try as a last resort.
 The first time I gave it a swim, having been through a Don pool twice with established patterns,I was pleasantly surprised to get a couple of fish. I found the fly fished very well during the last three months of the season, particularly in the smaller sizes. A few friends also did well with the fly, but we did not broadcast its' success. When asked what we were using the standard reply would invariably be, "Oh, jist a sma' reid flee"
  On 19th. September,2007, I fished the Tilbouries beat of the Dee. Between 9am and 1pm, and between 2pm and 5pm,I was fortunate enough to catch and release 14 salmon, and lost a few others. All on a size 10 of this pattern. Other experienced rods fishing the same pools that day had,at most, one or two fish each. The situation was the same on Middle Drum. ie. the opposite bank. We were all using much the same rod and line set ups and you may be assured
that my limited casting skills gave me no special advantage. I think it is therefore fair to assume that my good luck was simply down to the fly I was using.
  When word of my success reached the salmon fishing grape vine the pattern gained notoriety and the dressing was put on the internet. It was aptly named "the tilbouries shrimp". It is now sold by fly dressing companies. This fly remains my first choice, in normal water conditions, from August onwards.
  Due to a combination of old age and poorer health I now struggle to put in a shift with a DH fly rod.  Some of my time on the river will now be spent with a trout rod in hand. However I have tied up a fresh supply of Tilbouries Shrimps for this season, and, who knows, we may manage to outfish the red-francis brigade.
  Tight lines to you all.

Mike Barrio

Hi Mike :z12
Another excellent entry to the competition thanks! As above, nice fly, great post ( We'll have to send you on a photography course :z4 ) and a good story :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

Mike,

I remember that day in September with fond memories, I had 9 on middle Drum on that day on a red cascade. But you were having a whale of a time. Every time I looked across you seemed to be playing a fish, well done. It is still my best single day on the Dee.

Eddie. :z18

Geoff Gill

Having a look through my fly box, i've chosen the crane fly or daddy longlegs.
I havent tied it myself, but it the one fly i always seem to have in my box for no apparent reason.
25years ago i asked my folks for a flyrod out of the blue and i got a 2.7m #6/7 shakespeare rod with a rimfly reel.
Having never fished and not knowing anyone who did, i headed off to Inverurie to fish the don full of wonder and confidence. I set up with my rod, reel and 8lb nylon on an intermediate line. Having never heard of "spiders" "nymphs" or matching the hatch i chose the only fly that looked like something i recognised, the daddy longlegs ! Surely in the hot sun and low water conditions this fly had to be a banker i thought!! Having struggled to keep the fly afloat for any length of time ( thinking my intermediate line was the only line you could get obviously ), i moved onto the Urie and saw a rising fish, 3 casts of what must of looked like lassoing cows, but to me was pure silk and i was in to my first ever brownie of about 6 ounces.
Ever since that day i have been hooked. Now i always seem to carry a daddy longlegs in my box although i dont recall fishing it in over a decade.
It just reminds me of how it all started, and how even in the worst of weather for fishing with no clue there was still hope. And thats what its all about for me, just being out and enjoying it.  :z18

Still got the original rod too, albeit with a different line, Dont know why i keep it, but there you go.
Geoff

Mike Barrio

Hi Geoff :cool:
Another excellent entry to the competition thanks! As above, nice fly, great post with photos and a good story too :z16

It is starting to look like I'm going to have problems choosing a winner :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Thornton

TILBOURIES SHRIMP.

Hi Eddie,
Shane Christie came down to the tail of the Lawson in the morning and called over asking what I was getting the fish on.I gave him a detailed description of the fly. Kenny Reid asked me the same thing in the afternoon. He got the standard reply, "Oh,jist a sma' reid flee.
  Thanks for your comments.
   Mike T.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com