Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Geoff Gill

Knots
« on: 13/02/2014 at 14:17 »
Hi. After a good last season except for a few tippet breaks/ hook knots slipping, I'm going to try a new tippet to hook knot. I use mainly 5x tippet and previously used tucked blood knot then double davy knot. These knots work great with bigger nylon but my confidence is not so great with smaller diameter stuff. Any ideas or preferences out there to restore my confidence ?
Thanks in advance
Geoff

Liam Stephen

Re: Knots
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2014 at 14:41 »
Hi Geoff,

I use Frog Hair 4x and 5x most of the time and use a Davy's knot never had any problems. I also use Stroft 0.12 and 0.14 and use a tucked half blood. What tippet were you using? Was it big fish you lost?

Cheers
Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2014 at 15:12 »
I have always used a 5 turn grinner...a good 35 years at least, without issue, from 2lb line up to 30lb (heavier stuff I use 3 turns).

Geoff Gill

Re:
« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2014 at 16:07 »
I also use frog hair 4x and 5x. For years never had any problems, but lost three big fish last season, which happens but all seemed to snap way too easy, and after the effort finding and hooking them I was gutted to say the least. I did change tippet spool. So I'm either really unlucky with tippet or knots slipping or doing something wrong 😳
Thanks again I may try grinner knot, if anything just for renewed confidence
Geoff

Will Shaw

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2014 at 17:43 »
Uni knot. Which is pretty much a grinner w/o the initial turns.

W.

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2014 at 18:18 »
Orvis knot for attaching flies & Seaguar Knot for joining tippet and/or forming droppers. Both far stronger than Uni, Tucked Uni etc etc.

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 13/02/2014 at 20:39 »
Tucked Uni? What's that like?

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 13/02/2014 at 22:15 »
Orvis knot for flees, three turn water knot for droppers, 3lb Drennan nylon all year.
Nae problem!  :z16

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com