Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scolopax

Newbie seeks help on Leaders and droppers
« on: 13/02/2014 at 12:54 »
Well, finally got the cash to order my Barrio lines today.  But something Will said when he was showing me how to start fly tying had me thinking.

I never knew people fished a 'set of flies' - I just thought you tied one on the end and that was it - you see, I said I was a newbie !!

So, my question is in two parts (one for river and one for loch fishing).  How far away should the point fly be from the first dropper and how long should the line for each dropper be ??   And should you always fish three flies or is just two good ??

I guess you all have favourite set ups, so will try a few on my first outing and see what happens.

Thanks in advance

Liam Stephen

Re: Newbie seeks help on Leaders and droppers
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2014 at 13:26 »
Hi  :z16

I tend to fish a 9ft tapered leader with between 3-6ft of tippet. If fishing the rivers I will usually only fish the dry but on occasion I fish a team of two spiders, nymphs, wets. In this case I would space my flies evenly with 2 or 3ft between. My favourite method on this river is the klink n dink or duo where you fish a very buoyant dry fly and suspend a nymph below. If fishing this way I would add 2ft of tippet to my tapered leader the add a further 2ft to the bend of my dry (can also use with a dropper) then tie on my nymph. This is a very good searching method, try it.

On the stillwaters I fish much the same way just upping breaking strain. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Liam

Scolopax

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2014 at 19:06 »
Thanks for explaining your setup Liam

I will certainly have a go with a nymph and dry first, plucking up the courage to go for the very first time is not easy.  I am sure there are a lot of things I am unaware of, do's and don'ts etc.  And I am not sure where to go for my first expedition either. 

My Barrio lines have been ordered today :-))   So there will be no excuse when they arrive !

Cheers
Colin

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2014 at 08:08 »
Thanks for explaining your setup Liam

I will certainly have a go with a nymph and dry first, plucking up the courage to go for the very first time is not easy.  I am sure there are a lot of things I am unaware of, do's and don'ts etc.  And I am not sure where to go for my first expedition either. 

My Barrio lines have been ordered today :-))   So there will be no excuse when they arrive !

Cheers
Colin

Hey Colin,

No problem at all. You will get there, I'm still picking up tips and trick and I'm sure the veterans on here are as well. Keep at it!

Where are you based? I would maybe try Kemnay if in Aberdeenshire as the water there is very manageable and little wading is required. If Aberdeen I would try Upper Parkhilll, again manageable water in my opinion. Not sure if much of its wadable though, I only fish from the bank.

Cheers
Liam

Scolopax

« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2014 at 16:12 »
Well, the fly lines arrived NEXT day !!  Amazing service thanks Mike.

Just one small thing - I know you probably think I am completely nuts - but am I assuming correctly that the free end is the bit you attach to the backing ??

I am based in West Lothian Liam - but I travel all over for research for my paintings and we always try and combine trips with something for Jo too - so Shetland and Orkney are looking good for our next bit trip, so I have been looking at possibilities for fishing there at the moment.

Complete newbie sums it up I think :-)
Colin

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2014 at 16:17 »
Colin,

My mistake sorry, I guess that rules out ADAA water then. Plenty of council beats available Kintore, Inveruirie, Alford...

Good luck to you!  :z16

Cheers
Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2014 at 16:38 »
Well, the fly lines arrived NEXT day !!  Amazing service thanks Mike.

Just one small thing - I know you probably think I am completely nuts - but am I assuming correctly that the free end is the bit you attach to the backing ??

Colin

Hi Colin,

With the WF lines you attach the end that has the "reel end" sticker to your backing and with the DT lines you attach the end that is on the outside of the spooled line to the backing.

Don't put the spool on the floor and reel your line on as it comes off in spirals around the spool - this would twist your line and be a total pain to fish with. Put something like a pencil through the spool for it to rotate on and either ask somebody to hold the pencil for you, or hold the pencil between your knees, while you reel the line on with your reel and the spool facing the same direction, in line :wink

Hope this helps!

Best wishes
Mike

Scolopax

« Reply #7 on: 14/02/2014 at 17:39 »
Thanks - trust me to pick the Mallard to load first !!

I have made myself a line spooler - attach a power hand drill to it and it makes the job of changing lines and backing so much easier - also you don't need anyone else to hold anything for you.

Saw one online but they don't seem to make them anymore :-((

Colin

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #8 on: 16/02/2014 at 12:30 »

I am based in West Lothian Liam

Complete newbie sums it up I think :-)
Colin

Have you thought about joining one of the River Almond Clubs?  The Cramond Angling club is very active and has just added another beat (From Kirkliston west).  It's getting up to 200 salmon over 600 sea trout and a excellent quality of browns many over the 2lb mark and that's from the existing 3 beats from Kirkliston to the mouth at Cramond.  They have fly tying sessions in the Cramond boat club as well.  All this for £35 a year.
http://www.fishalmond.co.uk

G

Scolopax

« Reply #9 on: 16/02/2014 at 18:06 »
WOW

Thanks

Will go over and have a look at the website - sounds great.  Thanks for that !

I have only just got my fly lines, so need a landing net next then I think I am all set  - Birthday coming up soon :-))

Can't wait to report first fish caught on first outing by beginner on Barrio Lines :-)  He says hopefully
Cheers
Colin

Marc Fauvet

Re: Newbie seeks help on Leaders and droppers New
« Reply #10 on: 17/02/2014 at 10:51 »
hi Colin
since you're starting off it really would be wiser to start with just one fly and work your way up to more from there. droppers mean tangles, even for hot-shots and tangles are a PIA, specially when fish are active !  so, probably better to learn to present that one fly properly  :z16

but still, as far as droppers go, this method has given me the best results. it's super-easy and (at least for me) tangles the least, specially when i'm casting at looong range on lochs.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cheers,
marc

Scolopax

« Reply #11 on: 25/02/2014 at 19:09 »
Thanks Marc - luv the blog.  I shall digest (that might take a while) and put into action

I am so glad I found this forum - it all happened by chance - so did my interest in fly fishing.  But one thing is certain, the reviews I read convinced me to buy Barrio lines.

Don't get me wrong, I normally never read reviews before a purchase, but what astounded me was that they all said the same thing !!

I will now prepare a duncan knotted dropper system for my first attempt at fishing.
Thanks again
C

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com