Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: Epic Glass Fly Rods
« Reply #60 on: 02/02/2016 at 10:04 »
I see Swift are now producing 4 piece glass blanks. Are they planning on phasing out the 3 piece or will they continue to do both?

I can't see any advantages of going to 4 piece. The shorter than normal lengths make them just as easy to transport as my 4 piece carbon rods.

Does anyone know why they are changing? 

:z18
Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #61 on: 02/02/2016 at 10:13 »
Will see if Carl or Trev from Swift could give us some feedback on that one ....... but I guess Sandy would know.

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #62 on: 02/02/2016 at 10:42 »
The shorter than normal lengths make them just as easy to transport as my 4 piece carbon rods.
hi Liam,
my Epic 476-3 piece in its tube is longer than any of my 9' - 4 piece rods.
for 'normal' outings around the home via the car they're no problem but for airplane travel they require a (much) bigger travel bag.
these really big bags cost a lot, they usually weigh a lot (reducing effective luggage carry limit) and their size tends to be overkill volume-wise.
i haven't talked to Carl about this but i'm pretty sure that's one of the considerations behind the 4 piece design.
besides, ferrule design has come a long way with several 'travel' rods having very good actions. the Macenzie double-handers are a great example of this.
cheers,
marc

Liam Stephen

« Reply #63 on: 02/02/2016 at 10:51 »
Marc  :z16

Makes sense to me now. I hadn't taken into consideration travelling abroad, where you are right the bags are big heavy and cost a lot to transport. I should know I returned from Thailand with a 7ft rod case as I bought a 1 piece rod i couldn't leave behind  :z4 :z4

In terms of action they will remain the same or very close to it I imagine?? Yeah the Atlas range are pretty sweet rods and I don't like double handers  :z7

:z18
Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #64 on: 02/02/2016 at 12:25 »
You have pretty much nailed the resoning behind it :z16

There were a lot of requests for them to be more transportable, especially the 686 as folk want to take their Epics on Holiday.
There has been a good years worth of effort gone into getting the action to translate into 4 pc, so the rods feel the same as the existing product.
I've not had the chance to try one out yet, so couldn't comment beyond Carls explanation, when i asked the same questions.
However i will hopefully see one fairly soon and can report back.
For now both 3pc and 4pc will run concurrently, but i would imagine for the future all the rods will be 4 pc. 
This will make a big difference to me in Shipping costs to Europe :z16

Fundamentally the rods are staying the same, same colours, same actions, same sizes, just the configuration thats changing.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com