« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2014 at 15:59 »
Holy shit! Is this good or bad for the season ahead?  :z8

Liam

Rob Brownfield

Re: Don is rising
« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2014 at 07:31 »
Holy shit! Is this good or bad for the season ahead?  :z8

Liam

I think it has a bit of both. Good in the sense that many of the kelts will have been washed down the river and back to sea. This means next year we should see more bigger and stronger fish with an extra winters feeding at sea coming back to spawn. Stronger fish should mean successful breeding and certainly more eggs laid.

But, we also have the issue of last years fry, which will be anything from 1 to 2 inches long, will have had a hard time and may not have survived the flooding. There is also the risk of pollutants entering the river system.

I think only time will tell.

Mike Thornton

« Reply #4 on: 30/01/2014 at 13:32 »
It is often said that a big winter water will "wash out the kelts". However a kelt will only return to the sea when it's metabolism is ready for such a change. ie...the return to a feeding mode in salt water.
With regard to kelts returning to spawn again it is interesting to note scale sampling has shown that, on average, only 2% of a seasons catch consists of second time spawners.
A concern of a big winter spate is the potential of gravel movement,thus resulting in redds being washed out. Fry may also be stranded in puddles left in fields, after the river drops again.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2014 at 22:02 »
Didn't get down for a walk today, how's it looking? Falling back a bit hopefully.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 31/01/2014 at 07:51 »
Didn't get down for a walk today, how's it looking? Falling back a bit hopefully.

Cheers
Mike

According to SEPA, it is on the low side of "normal" at about 0.8 on the mark at Inverurie.

Mark Zhang

« Reply #7 on: 03/02/2014 at 10:24 »
It's the right level for me now. Hope it doesn't drop too much.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 03/02/2014 at 12:22 »
I'd like another foot off it by next Tuesday!!

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com