« Reply #15 on: 25/02/2014 at 09:12 »
That was 2 x 2" copper tubes Rob  :X1

Ben

Rob Brownfield

Re: River Dee 2014
« Reply #16 on: 25/02/2014 at 09:25 »
That was 2 x 2" copper tubes Rob  :X1

Ben

Imagine that! And there was me thinking you had been raiding the local plumbers  :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 25/02/2014 at 09:29 »
That would be 4" overall - impressive  :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #18 on: 13/03/2014 at 20:38 »
Hi all,

well, had my first blank of season 2014, but a cracking day on the water near Banchory with Edfish (thanks Ed!). Great stretch of the river, good water conditions, some good banter on the bankside. Apparently all the fish have run further upstream... at least we were in good company as all 6 rods blanked today, with some experienced anglers among them. And me.

Good to catch up with Eddie, and get a guid brew of bankside coffee thanks to his latest toy. Now, back to the trout for the next blank outing

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 14/03/2014 at 07:51 »

well, had my first blank of season 2014,

What sized Thingamabobber did your use for a copper tube? ;)

Unlucky though, maybe next time.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #20 on: 14/03/2014 at 22:16 »
After yesterdays outing with Iain it was back to the same beat again today. The water had risen 8 inches from yesterday and the water temperature was up from 38 f yesterday to 42 f today. to cut a long story short it was basically another day of casting practice rather than fishing albeit I did actually see one definite springer show in one of the pools briefly as it waved goodbye and headed upstream to join its mates in the middle beats with every other fish in the system this spring.The other rod with me did manage to get a small sea trout kelt which is the only thing to come off the beat this week so far. So that is a total of 9 full days on the river for me so far plus a day on the Tay and 1 solitary kelt to show for it. Back again tomorrow. Maybe with a little bit of luck a fish might take pity on me.

Still it is great to be out and having a cast.

Eddie. :z18

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #21 on: 15/03/2014 at 20:48 »
Well,
last day of the fishing on my favourite spring beat. Arrived at 08.30 and went for a look at the gauge. Even more snow melt and it is up another foot from yesterday. Consider going home already but the other rods have not arrived yet. Whilst have a coffee I thought I was hallucinating as a very long very deep fish head an tailed right in front of me close to the bank, ok we will be fishing after all.

Once again all 6 rods thrashed the water to a foam and it was another day of casting practice in a very gusty wind. Apart from one of the other rods who had a brief encounter with a good fish on the bottom pool of the beat that was it. We did see a couple of fish showing in the afternoon so at least there was some encouragement.

I hope the guys who were out for the opening of the trout had more luck than we did.

Tight lines for the season ahead.

Eddie. :z16 :z18 

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 18/04/2014 at 08:14 »
Fished Sluie again on Wednesday, and once more RSS came down and gave me some great advice, but alas no fish for me, just a pluck and a good pull.

A Swedish chap I was sharing the beat with picked up an 8 pounder on a tiny copper tube. The tube itself was a 1/4" and the dressing, all black, was about 1/2".

Water relativly warm at 11 degrees and the fish were  running pretty much the whole day. Saw one resident fish of about 10 pounds that stayed put all day but refused everything thrown at it.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #23 on: 31/07/2014 at 23:25 »
So.... I had a rare treat of a day on the Dee at Carlogie today. Been looking forward to it for a while, as a change from brown trout fishing. I love fishing for brown trout, and have had a great season with a few nice fishes.... but a wee change of scene is always good.

So, out with the switch rod and Barrio switch line; on with wet flees and across and down tactics.

And I caught two cracking, beautiful, lovely, pristine fish.
Here was the second one which took in fast necky water:

Errr...  funny looking salmon that... looks a little like the funny looking fish from the morning too. Aye, 12 hours on the Dee chasing silver. And I end up with two brownies of 3 & 2lb to declare. Doh!!! At least the lightning didn't get me

Beautiful brown trout - but I'd say noticably skinnier than their Don cousins

cheers
iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 31/07/2014 at 23:42 »
Great stuff Iain :z16
You didn't really want a salmon, did you? .......... I reckon it was all just a plan :z4

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #25 on: 01/08/2014 at 08:49 »
Great stuff Iain :z16
You didn't really want a salmon, did you? .......... I reckon it was all just a plan :z4

Cheers
Mike

well, I don't really get salmon fishing. Boats an't floating, though I do enjoy it occasionally. Certainly was trying for tourists, though on lightish tackle and small fleas, I had more of an eye on sea trout to be honest.  Lovely to see some sizeable Dee browns though. 

I've now had 2lb and 3lb browns from the Don, Dee & Deveron this season - cool! Though the Dee ones maybe don't count as they were accidental :-)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 01/08/2014 at 09:19 »
Iain, I hope you bonled them on the head and threw them up the bank!!! ;)

They eat Salmon three times ther length and have been known to drag cattle into the river and eat them! Honest, its true, a ghillie told me ;)

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #27 on: 01/08/2014 at 09:23 »
I didn't know Jeremy will (river monsteres) was the gillie there 😅

Hamish Young

« Reply #28 on: 01/08/2014 at 09:39 »
Iain, I hope you bonked them on the head and threw them up the bank!!! ;)

They eat Salmon three times their length and have been known to drag cattle into the river and eat them! Honest, its true, a ghillie told me ;)

Aye..... and if you fish on a Sunday you'll be turned to stone.... blah blah blah  :wink
Here on fishing myth busters UK anything can happen folks  :z4

Nice fish by the way Iain  :z16

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 01/08/2014 at 09:48 »
Aye..... and if you fish on a Sunday you'll be turned to stone.... blah blah blah  :wink

I think you will find that is true :)

Indeed a lovely fish though. There are bigger ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com