Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Ythan 2014
« Reply #15 on: 11/03/2014 at 08:55 »
I had heard about this and it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Some quite impassioned opinions so far, But....... the quote from the article

"Some limited netting will be required on the foreshore and lower estuary. This will allow us to fulfil our management role and commitment to addressing the current predation issues, returning the Ythan to its former glory."

May well hold some water :X2

The current number of seals at the mouth must have some sort of impact on the stocks, they can't all survive on eating little flatties.
If they do manage to control the predators, then i can't imagine the effect on stocks being a dramatic change, we swap one predator for another. This of course is likely to be wholley dependent upon how they net the river, mesh size, target species, etc. There are not really enough details to make any sort of informed and disspassionate conclusions.
I've a couple of good fishing mates in the Newburgh angling association, so it will be interesting to hear what they think or know.

The river was a better fishery when it was netted and the seals controlled, so it might be an interesting experiment to see what the outcome is and whether in fact it may even improve the fishing. :z8

We shall see..............

Sandy

Magnus Angus

« Reply #16 on: 11/03/2014 at 11:18 »
Calm and considered reply Sandy.....I don't agree with much of it but..... :z4

Thing is, who sold the rights to Usan and what were the Ythan District Fishery Board doing when those rights were up for sale?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 12/03/2014 at 10:30 »
I've done a little bit more asking around, and seem to have set the cat amongst the pigeons a wee bit :z16

My information is second hand, but from reliable sources.
The Fishing rights it appears are owned by Auchmacoy estate and The Newburgh angling association were aware of the offer to USAN last year, however the members i have spoken too had belived the offer had fallen through, so it has come a surprise to them that it has now happenend. There was certainly no mention of it at the AGM in January and the Auchmacoy estate Baliff was there, although no member of the YFB was present.
They are now more than a little concerned that it will implicate on the Estuary fishing which is run by the NAA. The press release that was linked too, mentions the fishing as well nets.
Apparently the original proposal was for 3 years salmon only and then no specifics (the inference being they could then fish for sea-trout) after this, which is why it was rejected. there were no guarantees for the sea-trout beyond 3 years, however no-one knows what HAS been agreed too, so people are now off to find out more :wink

I'm not sure how much influence the YFB has in these matters and i know that last year they lost a good chunk of their funding, which is usually spent on maintenance. So they might not have been in a position to do much about it.

So it seems there are not many details, it will be interesting to see what sort of Hue and cry is raised when they start to remove the seals ,there are estimates of between 500-800 at the moment, which is down on the last few years, but then there are reports of Orca's patrolling the NE coast form The Broch down to Balmedie.

I shall post more if i get more info. :z18

Sandy

ps. Had a few bonny wee Finnock last night :z12

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 12/03/2014 at 11:21 »
but then there are reports of Orca's patrolling the NE coast form The Broch down to Balmedie.

They have been seen of Aberdeen beach since the storms have died down. A "be aware" was issued to the surfers, just in case :)

They were here last year too http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/photos-killer-whales-off-collieston-angus/

They are very quick to take advantage of an easy food source, so perhaps they have cottoned onto the seals?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 12/03/2014 at 17:58 »
I was miss-informed earlier :z6.

Its Udny and Dudwick Estate that hold the fishing rights for the estuary, which is possibly why the Auchmacoy baliff didn't know much. Auchmacoy is further up where the Machar pool is.

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 31/03/2014 at 17:45 »
I've had quite a few wee finnock over the last couple of weeks :z16
All with the Shrimp spiders

But this afternoon i thought i'd get some practice in for tomorrow, so i took the Epic out and used a wee waterhen bloa :z16

A few of these were great fun on Glass and they were easier to catch than on the shrimp :wink

I have seen quite a few Water rats swimming in the river over the last few years, but never managed to get any photo's.
This might be cheating but this poor wee soul was found in the margins, no obvious damage so not sure why he had croaked, but i left it on the bank and it was gone the following day.

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #22 on: 31/03/2014 at 19:04 »
Sandy,
well done on the finnock, they are great fun on a wee rod. I used to fish for them in spring up at Methlick many moons ago when I was a loon.

Eddie. :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #23 on: 31/03/2014 at 20:29 »
Nice fish, and the rod does pretty Epic too

Iain Cameron

« Reply #24 on: 07/04/2014 at 12:51 »
You hearing that Usan have bought the netting rights for the Ythan?
http://flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/news/view/usans_acquire_ythan_fishing_and_salmon_netting_rights/

Folks

I received the following press statement last night from Usan:

Dear Sirs

....following our earlier Press Release in relation to the above last month.

George Pullar, Director said 'After extensive deliberation, we have decided not to exercise our Ythan netting rights. We will, however, continue with our plans to exercise our angling rights, thereby retaining the associated local employment. We intend to fully consider the future options for our Ythan fishings in due course. For the avoidance of doubt contrary to considerable speculation from the angling community, we have no plans to acquire further netting rights in Scotland’.

George Pullar

For now, looks like no netting.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 09/04/2014 at 17:51 »
This is cool, i think :z8

Will be interesting to see how long they refrain, although i believe that netting with the seals, is not really an option.

Thanks for the info Iain :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 20/05/2014 at 21:55 »
Enjoyed a great afternoon on the river with Sandy today .... Epic fun with wee flies for wee trout :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #27 on: 21/05/2014 at 14:10 »
 :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 21/05/2014 at 17:23 »
It was a lovely afternoon for a walk along an interesting piece of water.

Not enough bits like this, unfortunately.
But when we found them, there were plenty wee fish to be tempted, nice technical casting. And Mr B managed to hook his first fish of the season :z3

We saw a few Deer and a Female Sparrowhawk so it was very pleasant.

This was the monster of the day :z4 DHE again :z16

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 09/08/2014 at 22:36 »
After a disappointing night last night on the Don, when i saw hardly a fish rise, the Ythan was Alive this evening.
Lots of smallish upwings hatching and the trout were hungry for size 16 f-flies.

not all babies either :z16

no monsters but nice fish for the wee river, this one was was about a pound

Cracking tail on this one about 12oz.

Lovely night to be out :z12

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com