Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rich Knoles

Spring Salmon
« on: 16/01/2014 at 14:37 »
I'm seeing fish caught on the Tay. Is this the usual time for it to open? Why are they calling them Spring fish, it's fucking winter. Do the rivers all open this early?
Thanks,
Dumb American Dude

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Spring Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 16/01/2014 at 15:45 »
Rich,
the Tay opens on the 15th of January every year and it is usual to catch some fish at this time. The Dee opens on the 1st of February followed on the 11th of February by the Spey and the Don.

Yes we do call it spring fishing even though this time of year is classed as winter elsewhere in the world, the fact is that in the North East of Scotland the weather and temperature does not really change that much from end of winter to the beginning of spring.

You should try your hand at our spring fishing it is manly.

Eddie. :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 16/01/2014 at 15:57 »

Yes we do call it spring fishing even though this time of year is classed as winter elsewhere in the world, the fact is that in the North East of Scotland the weather and temperature does not really change that much from end of winter to the beginning of spring.

Corrected that for you.....
"the fact is that in the North East of Scotland the weather and temperature does not really change that much from end of winter to the beginning of the following winter.    :X2

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 16/01/2014 at 16:09 »
Fair comment, :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 16/01/2014 at 16:15 »
You should try your hand at our spring fishing it is manly.

Rich is farly familiar with spring salmon fishing in Scotland Eddie, just later on in the spring.  But being a rainbow trout fisher from The USofA, he lacks the relevant skill set to get hold of them  :z4

I hear the guys who do best during the winter / spring period all wear full tweeds and fish full WetCel 2's Rich, you should try it next time you are here  :z4

Ben

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2014 at 16:18 »
Ben,
you forgot to tell him that the only way to fish the wetcell 2 is with an old 18 foot hexagraph.

Eddie. :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 16/01/2014 at 16:38 »
.................. and if the fish isn't a kelt, it's a Spring fish Rich :cool:

Not that I know much about this salmon fishing stuff :z4

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 17/01/2014 at 07:33 »
Ben,
you forgot to tell him that the only way to fish the wetcell 2 is with an old 18 foot hexagraph.

Surely a Grant Vibration.

Like the DAD acronym Rich  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 17/01/2014 at 07:34 »
Ben,

Ohhhhh...I have a #10 WetCel 2 DT at home somewhere. I think that was the ONLY sinking salmon line Somers had in when I first fished for Salmon. How times have changed!

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 17/01/2014 at 09:32 »
I hear the guys who do best during the winter / spring period all wear full tweeds and fish full WetCel 2's Rich, you should try it next time you are here  :z4

Ha :!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 17/01/2014 at 09:58 »
So then...what flies do folk recommend for Spring? I remember using 3" copper tubes cast overhead with the wetCel...bloody lethal!

Any recommended patterns...bit new to the spring stuff "second time around" with this salmon lark....its changed heaps!

Mark Zhang

« Reply #11 on: 17/01/2014 at 10:27 »
"the fact is that in the North East of Scotland the weather and temperature does not really change that much from end of winter to the beginning of the following winter.    :X2

:z16 :z16 :z16

Rich Knoles

« Reply #12 on: 17/01/2014 at 10:51 »

Thanks, Rob, This much I knew, driving from Hamish's to Castle Grant in the snow in May. FFS. :X1
Do they all close at the same time?
When does the bulk of the run of fish arrive? When is the best time to Salmon fish? Besides, when you can.

We get pretty defined runs of potadromous Steelhead on the tribs to the Great Lakes and anadromous Steelhead in the Pacific Northwest. Pacific Salmon the same thing, pretty defined runs.

Tweed's on order, Ben. Just searching for the proper Range Rover now, Mate. Pretty sure they're still fishing WetCel's at Park.
I'd also like for you guys to get the fucking netting sorted before I move over there.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 17/01/2014 at 11:15 »
When does the bulk of the run of fish arrive?

Thats easy....when I am at work and can't fish!

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 17/01/2014 at 11:18 »
When does the bulk of the run of fish arrive? When is the best time to Salmon fish? Besides, when you can.

Really varies these days Rich,  many rivers used to have a defined spring run, others were famous for grilse and summer salmon and others were autumn 'back end' rivers.
I don't think it's too sweeping a statement to say it's broadly recognised/become understood that most UK Salmon rivers have fish running almost all year round, the bigger the catchment and size of the river then the more that statement is generally true.
The Ness system had a fish on opening day which was Wednesday, it was caught on the River Oich which is at the western end of Loch Ness so the fish had travelled upwards of twenty five miles from sea to the river. It was probably heading (still is.... it was released) for the Garry so ultimately perhaps spawning late this year some 50 miles from the sea. In other words it will be 10/11 months before getting a shag. That's patience for you.
Thing is that fish may well spawn with another salmon that runs the river in November, this is because it's clear from research going into the system that fresh fish are running as late as December. This makes as early as January a calendar observation by us humans and of no relevance to the fish.

When is the best time to fish :? Well, when you can and where you can afford are the answers (sorry). This all season/year round 'running' doesn't mean that these systems don't still have defined runs of spring or summer or autumn fish that they were famous for; it's just the fish have changed the rules.

:cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com