Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Must have patterns?
« on: 09/01/2014 at 21:56 »
Hey Folks,

Happy new year to all  :z18

I've not posted in a while so thought I'd post a question which I'm sure is asked every close season. However I'm certain the answers will change each year.

So what are your must have patterns for the Don Brownies?

Cheers
Liam

Liam Stephen

Re: Must have patterns?
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2014 at 23:23 »
I'd be confident fishing all season with the following dozen patterns without feeling ill-equipped. In no particular order,
D.H.E
CDC n Elk
Michaels Caddis
Klinkhammer
JT Olive
Jingler
CDC Sherry Spinner
Griffiths Gnat
Iain's PTN
GRHE
March Brown Spider
Black Pennell

Just how few flies could you get away with? It would be cool to see how many of the above feature in your fly box.

Cheers
Liam

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2014 at 09:53 »
first post of the year from me too, so happy new year folks :)

Ive quite a few of them in my box liam, but to be honest last season 95% of my trout fishing was done with a DHE, CDC & ELK, GRHE and black pennell (in various configurations!)

In saying that...I had a failrly bad season! but....i had plenty of confidence in what i was using  :z4

thankfully the vice was kept 'interested' by tying the ocassional salmon fly!

Jonathan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2014 at 09:47 »
Jonathan  :z16

Those patterns were rarely far from my leader, I always favour a PTN over a GRHE though. Confidence is what it's all about. You still fishing at Kintore?

Cheers Liam

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #4 on: 11/01/2014 at 20:09 »
I only fished Kintore a few times last season, for some reason I found myself fishing lower down the river more often.  
Hopefully I 'll get back up river more this year though!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2014 at 10:06 »
Liam

I had my best season last year :z16

I think mainly because i limited my selection of flies and just fished them :wink.

I ran the whole year with

DHE sizes 10-14
SHE size 14-16
CDC and Elk 12-16
Waterhen Bloa 12-14
Orange CDC spider 14-20
Black Klink 20

Never actually fished a nymph all year, although i think it would have been a useful addition. I'm a Hares ear man though, but its whatever you have confidence in. :z16

So this year i'm adding a HE nymph in various weights 10-16
And a sparse Silver stoat in 12-16

then its just discipline.

If you want hackles i have heaps (capes mean loads of feathers i'm never gonna use), drop me a PM and we can discuss sizes and colours.

Cheers

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #6 on: 12/01/2014 at 10:57 »
Hey Sandy  :z16

Yeah I noticed you got a couple of beauties last season, congrats  :z18

I was the same back in 2012 and will be doing so again this season. It meant I was able to focus more on the presentation and not worry too much about fly choice.

Everyone needs a nymph in there box, a PTN or GRHE are the best there is in my opinion.

8 patterns is pretty good going. Do you feel you have all eventualities covered?

Hackle have me stumped! For the patterns I want to tie I need, black, brown, grizzle and dun. I'll PM you details.

Cheers
Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 12/01/2014 at 11:47 »
8 patterns is pretty good going. Do you feel you have all eventualities covered?

Yup the addition of the nymph and the wet fly should give the full range for this year.
I did use the DHE's/SHE's in fat and thin versions. So it was kinda 9 patterns, although you could argue the SHE and DHE are basically the same pattern just different scales :wink so that would  take us back to 8 or perhaps even 7 :X2 Either way they all fit in one box :wink

I may well add a Stewart style Black Spider in 14-18 as well

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #8 on: 12/01/2014 at 12:39 »
My possible tiny selection:

D.H.E 12-16
CDC n Elk 12-18
Klinkhammer 12-20
JT Olive 14-18
Goolagers PTN 12-18
Black Pennell 12-16

I would feel more confident with my original dozen but reckon these would see me well all season.

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com