I am undecided and require more information

0 (0%)
None of the above (elaborate!)
4.3%
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: 27/01/2014 at 23:26

Hamish Young

Now before voting (and please do vote on this :!) you need to read this http://www.asfb.org.uk/asfb-statement-on-spring-conservation/ then consider the roles that District Salmon Fishery Boards and the other bodies that have a part to play in the management and welfare of fish stocks in Scotland.

I'll leave this one running for a while (we've not had a poll in ages) and look at it again in the New Year :z16

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

Re: ASFB statement of conservation of Spring salmon
« Reply #1 on: 19/12/2013 at 07:58 »
Its a no brainer for me. Any fish returning to the rivers are there for one purpose, and that is to breed. An obvious statement, but kill that fish, you kill the future stocks.

The Scottish Governments position on all this is something I find hard to swallow. They seem intent on expanding salmon and Trout farms on the West coast and allowing netting stations expand (even giving grants) yet tell us that Salmon Fishing (rod and line) is one of Scotlands great industries, attracting people from all over the world and it is vital to protect the salmon stocks.

I fail to see how the two views go hand in hand.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 19/12/2013 at 10:02 »
Well said Rob, well said indeed  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 19/12/2013 at 13:28 »
It is quite simply an iconic and extremely important part of our countries heritage and economy, helping Scotland's image the world over.  It's not some form of 'class plaything' but available to all, the sooner someone within the Scottish Govt realise this (and help give it the protection it deserves) the better.

On a slightly different level, simple arithmatic; the more native / natural fish spawning in the system, the better chance of survival / increased future stocks.  Stop killing 'em at sea, stop killing their food source, stop polluting their habitat, who knows maybe other marine species might benifit as well (apart from sea-lice that is).

Last thing, not directly related, C&R is, in my mind, the way to go, but; as long as we remember numbers caught will include multi-landed fish and therefore the true reflection of what that water produced is slightly slanted.

Right enough said by me, i'm away back to the troots  :z4

Rich Knoles

« Reply #4 on: 19/12/2013 at 14:18 »
I thought we did really stupid shit over here.  ???

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 19/12/2013 at 14:58 »
I thought we did really stupid shit over here.  ???

You do Rich  :z7

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 19/12/2013 at 18:12 »
You do Rich  :z7

Aye, they're just in denial  :wink :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 21/12/2013 at 08:18 »
Eleven voters so far folks - thank you - but we can do better than that can't we :?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 21/12/2013 at 13:23 »
12 now  :z16

Andy Wren

« Reply #9 on: 21/12/2013 at 15:53 »
12 now  :z16
Unlucky 13th here,should be even later cut of date ,I would hate the wonderful portion of the salmon population that are springers to be extinct.
the best looking fish of the year IMHO

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 30/12/2013 at 10:15 »
Let's keep this going folks, 16 votes in - I'd have thought we could do better than that :?

Matt Henderson

« Reply #11 on: 30/12/2013 at 10:51 »
I got confused and pressed the wrong button.  I think the proposal should stand and I think that on beats that are let to mostly day rods say a beat on the Dee such as Crathes, or Ballogie, Middle Drum etc etc then it should remain 100% catch and release all through the season.  On a beat that is syndicated i.e. the same rods fish it all season then I think there is room for taking one for the pot.  The issue here is one mans "fresh fish" is often another man's crocodile.  For avoidance of doubt I end up in a place where really 100% C&R is easier to implement that systems like tags etc. 

matt

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 28/01/2014 at 18:56 »
So all in we're in favour of the ASFB recommendations with regard to spring Salmon.
Thank you all who took part  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 29/01/2014 at 08:09 »
Last thing, not directly related, C&R is, in my mind, the way to go, but; as long as we remember numbers caught will include multi-landed fish and therefore the true reflection of what that water produced is slightly slanted.

That is actually a very valid point. I had a fish off the Dee last year that had a very obvious hook mark and another that I think was probably another. Potentially that fish was counted 3 times in the catch report for the river.

It certainly fought when I hooked it and showed no signs of distress from being landed again. Infact, it shot off as soon as I had the fly out.

I wonder if there is a way of markng a fish with a dye pen to show its been caught before (not injecting, something that is semi permanent) and therefore should not be included in catch returns?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com