Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott

Getting started
« on: 12/07/2007 at 11:37 »
Hi, Im new here.

I fished last week at Drumlichity near Inverness and it was the first time that I have been fly fishing for years. Absolutely loved it....in fact, Im taking it up as a hobby. Any tips on getting started? Joining a club, equipment, lochs etc?

After having a look through this forum, Haddo looks really good and not too far away (as I live in Aberdeen)

Thanks
Scott

Jay Scott

Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2007 at 12:32 »
The all important question.. How to get started well theres not really a right way and a wrong way to get started, once you've learned the basics then its plain sailing. I would reccomend learning how to cast either with a profesional or just picking it up which is harder but there are always other fishermen willing to help. As for tackle it really depends on your budget, you can pick up a cheap rod and reel set up for around 40, 50 pounds but if you know you are going to stick at it then you would probably be better spending a bit more e.g. around 50, 70 pounds for the rod ( i would reccomend the Vision Attack 9'6" for a 7 line around 70 - 80 pounds ) reels you don't have to spend a lo0t of money on at all, all its there for is to hold the line the rod and line are the two main components ( so for a reel i would reccomend a Shakespeare Alpha 7/8 they are around 16 pounds with a spare spool ) line? well for your money you can't get much better than a Barrio Mallard line.
Then all you need is a fly box, leader and the all important flies, when you go to a fishery you will find out what works the best there and at what time of year to start off i would reccomend a couple lures ( cats whiskers, Fritz and WSWs) they are i think the easiest to learn with, a couple buzzers and some wets and dries. As for fishery i Would reccomend Haddo and Loch Insch both of these places have space for back cast and there are freindly people there always willing to help.

Hope this helps,
Jay

Dutchfly

« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2007 at 19:58 »
Hi Scott,

Act like Nike: just do it! Get out there and fish. You'll loose fish and flies and at times it can get very frustrating, but you'll learn on every outing. And don't be afraid to ask an experienced fisherman for help: we've all been there.

Good luck and, most of all, good fishing!

Jeroen

Scott

« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2007 at 21:24 »
Thanks for the response guys. I do agree, less talk and more action sounds like the plan.

Cheers
Scott

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com