Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Grit!
« on: 10/12/2013 at 11:10 »
Chaps,

Hypotehtically speaking if you'd moved into a house with a short but very steep drive that requires to be reversed into because it's tighter than a tight thing and it's slabs so prone to getting slippy when it's frosty.  Where would I get a sack of grit to put on it to mean I can actually get up it and down it without sliding into the folk across the roads front garden.  And before somebody says it I will be parking on the street when I have to! All I've seen so far is building sand which I thought might be a bit too fine. 

Matt

Hamish Young

Re: Grit!
« Reply #1 on: 10/12/2013 at 11:24 »
An unethical person might suggest you slip some folding to a council employee and get a bag or three filled with road grit and salt.

The same unethical person might suggest you give up on the idea of the folding and just go foraging for the above 'out of hours'.

A more honest person might suggest that coarse (not sharp) sand combined with a bag of road salt from the likes of B&Q will do the job.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 10/12/2013 at 12:15 »
How about a big electric blanket like they do in the posh houses in westhill ;)

I would take a wander out to the likes of the Cairn o Mount where you can find yellow bins at the side of the road full of the stuff.... :X2

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2013 at 12:23 »
B & Q have rocksalt /grit type stuff at about £5 a bag. The recycling center at Peterhead has (or had) grit you could help yourself to.

I have a similar problem Matt, luckily the drive is South Facing and generally if you get the worst of it off the sun will take care of it. Always keep a couple of bags of grit in the garage though.

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 10/12/2013 at 12:51 »
posh houses in westhill ;)

How very dare you!  Westhill!  :z4

The previous owner left a few bags of that blue de-icing stuff for the drive so I think if I get a few big buckets and mix it with some coarse sand as Hamish suggests I'll be onto a winner!

Thanks

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 10/12/2013 at 12:58 »
How very dare you!  Westhill!  :z4

They used to be posh in the 80's before Westhill grew and grew! ;)

As for grit...what you are looking for is commercially called Rock Salt. MUCH cheaper than "de-icing salt"

You can buy online at http://saltandgritsolutions.co.uk/buy-rock-salt-grit-online/

Prices include delivery...

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 10/12/2013 at 19:51 »
I went to the council depot and asked for some salt and the guy said yes if you have a container, so I have a supply of road salt, go and ask they can only say no,  :z8 easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com