Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Taysider

Re: Which blank...
« Reply #15 on: 26/12/2013 at 10:39 »
This is a great question.
But the answer is, in my opinion, one of the mysteries of fly fishing.
Over the years I have searched for the perfect Nymphing rod.
Every length and line weight was tested and many got close.
Then I found the answer by chance:
A Shakespeare Nymph International, Black colour, Brown bindings, not much to look at.
10' long #8/9 rating, material glass.
Unbelievable, typical glass but without any recoil, I would not call it backbone but positive when straightening the rod.
After a year or so the stripping ring required a but of attention and I sent it down to Mick Glover( formally of Perth) to be refurbished completely.
Mick loved the rod's action, could be used for almost any type of fish.
When stripped, shock/ horror- not glass at all but a composite of glass and something(has to graphite) but no, probably Boron.
Anyway a great rod for all fish but for all forms of Nymphing just perfect.
Shakespeare have no records published of this rod but the double tipped bindings suggest the USA as a source.
Nymphing rods are so personal, I hope you find yours and Tight Lines.

Ps. Mick will finish my rod early in next year.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 06/01/2014 at 08:07 »
10' long #8/9 rating, material glass.

Ouch! I doubt I would be able to fish with that all day.

I have several 10-11 foot rods rated around that in carbon or carbon kevlar but the ones I have would break 3lb nylon in an instant as they are all very powerful rods.

Still looking for a blank...I will probably go with a Quickline as they are only $60 in the US. The right ups are all superb and the Rodbuuilding Formum chaps seem chuffed with them too. As i only get out half a dozen times a year, this rod should do me fine :)

Maric Sreten

« Reply #17 on: 19/07/2016 at 18:34 »
Rob did you made your CTS 1063-4 rod? I am looking to made one for nymphing and competition.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 20/07/2016 at 12:46 »
Rob did you made your CTS 1063-4 rod? I am looking to made one for nymphing and competition.

Sorry, no, I went for the Quickline instead. Superb blank indeed.

Maric Sreten

« Reply #19 on: 21/07/2016 at 07:43 »
TNX

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com