Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Geoff Gill

Sea trout in Durness
« on: 06/12/2013 at 09:16 »
Hi all, I am planning heading back up to Durness next year to fish the limestone lochs. I have fished these previously but would like to also try for a sea trout on the fly. Has anyone got any experience or tips as to where and what to fish for them. Looking at the Kyle of Durness but not got much info. Thanks

Geoff

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Sea trout in Durness
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2013 at 09:25 »
Geoff the seatrout fishing in the Kyle is superb. We fish for them every year it is best at low tide and whilst the tide is running. Anywhere along the shore in front of what used to be the Cape Wrath hotel will do and the fish move up and down this shoreline so you can ambush them as they go past. Also an interesting by catch while sea trout fishing is sea bass. They are increasing in numbers every year and they put up a great scrap on the fly rod.

You can get permission to fish for free from Martin Mackay at Glengolly guest house in Durness who is the same contact for the limestone loch fishing. Telephone 01971511255

The free se trout fishing is on a catch and release basis but you can keep bass if you want. Last year in June we saw a guy fishing with fresh sprats and he was catching a lot of sea trout and also some salmon.

Eddie :z18

Geoff Gill

« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2013 at 09:34 »
 :z16 cheers Eddie,

Sounds good with a chance of a bass too. Catch and release is fine as I can't personally stand the taste of fish  :z4.
Will bass take the same fly as a seat trout ?
Thanks again. Just got to sort dates and book now   :z13
Geoff

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 06/12/2013 at 09:50 »
Geoff,
any sand eel imitation will catch both and you do get the occasional small Pollack. I am certain that if you went do the deeper rocky outcrops off of Faraidh head you may encounter big Pollack but I am usually too busy on the lochs to go there.

Eddie. :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com