Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

RIP Nelson Mandela
« on: 05/12/2013 at 22:15 »
The world has lost one of its great Statesmen, a legend in our lifetime. RIP Nelson

:z18

Jim

Graeme Inglis

Re: RIP Nelson Mandela
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/2013 at 22:20 »
So true, in an age of plastic hero's he stood head and shoulders above them.

G

Soldierpmr

« Reply #2 on: 05/12/2013 at 22:22 »
RIP if only more people would stand by there opinions and rights and beliefs.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 05/12/2013 at 23:26 »
Hmmm this better not fuk up my holiday!!!! Oops sorry.... Madiba as they call him in SA has been a huge figure. I'm not really sure how I feel about him but I definitely agree he was the tata or father for an emerging nation. I really really hope SA can go forward from this to a thriving democracy but I doubt it.

gunner100

« Reply #4 on: 06/12/2013 at 18:18 »
So sorry it might fuk your holiday.

I heard the news of Mandelas (Mandebas) death last night and I was in tears, literally. This man has brought reconciliation  to South Africa. Served only  one term as President and handed over to a younger man .

I well remember the student's Unions bars and pubs in Edinburgh in  1960's when  we sang "Free Mandela".

Terribly sorry if it fuks your holiday , but Mandelas gift to the world is more important than your holiday.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 06/12/2013 at 20:19 »
My grandfather fought the Reich so that we could be free, only his family and close friends shed a tear for him when he passed away

Mourn the passing of one good man on a day that I'd imagine many others did also.

Iain

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 06/12/2013 at 20:33 »
Ian,
could not agree more. I have my grandfathers bayonet at home and cannot even start to understand what he went through in the war. Nelson Mandella deserves our utmost respect.

Eddie.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 06/12/2013 at 20:46 »
Eddie, I would believe you it it weren't for the fact that I know for sure that you are actually the result of a Victorian scientific experiment.

:z7

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 07/12/2013 at 10:22 »
For me one of the saddest things is the shameful political posturing and association that always seems to come every time someone of 'significance' passes and how mediocre second rate politicians (so that would be most of ours then) all have to get their sound bites in. Hateful  :mad
As time passes we all lose friends, family and personal 'heroes' to the inevitable grind of time. Each have done their bit to contribute to society, some more than others but each one we lose is a loss to those who remain.
Nelson Mandela had a damn good innings and did more with his allotted time than most.
The modern South Africa that rose from the ashes of apartheid is in part his legacy and for all those people all around the world who strived for the end of apartheid in South Africa.
I'm not normally given to religious sentiment but in this instance it seems appropriate - God bless you Nelson Mandela.
Rest in peace.

H

« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2013 at 13:25 »
 It is always a shame when someone dies, he seemed to be a good president.
 However, what everybody seems to be glossing over is the fact that he got his time in jail for being a Terrorist!
 People are too quick to blame those who point out the blindingly obvious, but, when this man planted bombs, he didn't know or care who they killed.
 Sorry that the man is dead but not the terrorist.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 07/12/2013 at 14:01 »
It is always a shame when someone dies, he seemed to be a good president.
 However, what everybody seems to be glossing over is the fact that he got his time in jail for being a Terrorist!
 People are too quick to blame those who point out the blindingly obvious, but, when this man planted bombs, he didn't know or care who they killed.
 Sorry that the man is dead but not the terrorist.

He was convicted of Conspiracy to Overthrow the Government not Terrorism.

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 08/12/2013 at 22:19 »
So sorry it might fuk your holiday.

I heard the news of Mandelas (Mandebas) death last night and I was in tears, literally. This man has brought reconciliation  to South Africa. Served only  one term as President and handed over to a younger man .

I well remember the student's Unions bars and pubs in Edinburgh in  1960's when  we sang "Free Mandela".

Terribly sorry if it fuks your holiday , but Mandelas gift to the world is more important than your holiday.

Gunner100 you may have taken my post a bit 2 seriously. I hope you're feeling a bit better now.

gunner100

« Reply #12 on: 10/12/2013 at 21:24 »
Yep... I am feeling a bit better after a week, thank you. I had just heard on the news of Mandela's death and had been in tears. He had been part of my life since the 1960's. I found your comment crass and insensitive , and still do, so I have refrained from quoting it.   

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 11/12/2013 at 08:12 »
He was convicted of Conspiracy to Overthrow the Government not Terrorism.

Hmmm...not quite.

First arrest was indeed for High Treason Against the State. An extremely serious accusation that carried the Death Penalty (as it did in the UK at the time). One charge was dropped and the remaining charges were changed to High Treason by advocating the use of violence against the state. This charge was brought under Martial Law that had been applied during severe rioting and looting that was taking place. Mandela was released when the case collapsed due to 3 of the Judges being National Party members, and the end of Martial Law.

His second arrest, and for which he served 5 years, was under the charge of Inciting Workers to Strike and with Leaving the Country without Permission.

His third arrest lead to a charge of four counts of Sabotage against the State and Conspiricy to Violently Overthrow the Government, what we would term Terrorism these days.

He also set up and headed the MK (Spear of the Nation), the armed wing of the ANC
He later admitted to 156 acts of sabotage taking place under his command.
He was in command of the MK during their bombing campaign in which cinemas, shopping malls, train stations, court rooms and so on were bombed, killing hundreds and maiming many many more, both black and white (I hate those terms) and he admitted he knew loss of life was taking place.
He approached the Chinese for weapons in a communist attempt to take power through violence
He accepted $60 million from Gaddafi and the Indonesian President (cant remember his name now) for weapons and training
He went to Ethiopia and trained in guerilla warfare for 2 months (it was meant to be 12 months)

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.........

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 11/12/2013 at 08:36 »

Hmmm...not quite.

First arrest was indeed for High Treason Against the State. An extremely serious accusation that carried the Death Penalty (as it did in the UK at the time). One charge was dropped and the remaining charges were changed to High Treason by advocating the use of violence against the state. This charge was brought under Martial Law that had been applied during severe rioting and looting that was taking place. Mandela was released when the case collapsed due to 3 of the Judges being National Party members, and the end of Martial Law.

His second arrest, and for which he served 5 years, was under the charge of Inciting Workers to Strike and with Leaving the Country without Permission.

His third arrest lead to a charge of four counts of Sabotage against the State and Conspiricy to Violently Overthrow the Government, what we would term Terrorism these days.

He also set up and headed the MK (Spear of the Nation), the armed wing of the ANC
He later admitted to 156 acts of sabotage taking place under his command.
He was in command of the MK during their bombing campaign in which cinemas, shopping malls, train stations, court rooms and so on were bombed, killing hundreds and maiming many many more, both black and white (I hate those terms) and he admitted he knew loss of life was taking place.
He approached the Chinese for weapons in a communist attempt to take power through violence
He accepted $60 million from Gaddafi and the Indonesian President (cant remember his name now) for weapons and training
He went to Ethiopia and trained in guerilla warfare for 2 months (it was meant to be 12 months)

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.........

Rob he was found not guilty on the treason charges. Were the French Resistance in WW2 terrorists ? Were the SOE who planted bombs all over occupied Europe terrorists ? Was William Wallace a terrorist ? I could go on

I do not think anyone who fights against a morally corrupt regime can be classed as a terrorist.

jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com