« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2013 at 21:10 »
I think I've seen Marc doing this?

Saw Paul Proctor do it with Hamish standing in for a rock in the river  :z4

:z18

Jim

Marc Fauvet

Re: Cast with a curve
« Reply #3 on: 26/11/2013 at 22:16 »
yup, i've been playing around with this for a while, Mike. and the same basic idea has turned into a spey informally called the 'Around the World' spey in reference to something i read as a kid in my dad's copy of 'Everything you've always wanted to know about sex' while he was at work  :X2
funny though, after seeing this earlier today i finally discovered what the 'Cunning Ling' cast was, after hearing about it for a year or so on SL. birds of a feather they say...   :z4
cheers,
marc

Aitor

« Reply #4 on: 27/11/2013 at 06:25 »
yup, i've been playing around with this for a while, Mike. and the same basic idea has turned into a spey informally called the 'Around the World' spey...
Hi Marc,

You mean that the same tracking error used in an spey cast gives the same curved result?

That was what I thought but it seems to work in a different way:

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 27/11/2013 at 07:13 »
Mike,

Am I correct in thinking that was filmed in Malaysia?

Looks exactly like the park across from Nick Oi's tackle shop.

Steven.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 27/11/2013 at 09:03 »
Very possibly Steven, I believe Ck Ling (known as Doc) lives in Malaysia. Marc might know .......

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 27/11/2013 at 09:24 »
Saw Paul Proctor do it with Hamish standing in for a rock in the river  :z4

Jim

Indeed you did Jim, well remembered :z16

H :cool:

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2013 at 10:09 »

You mean that the same tracking error used in an spey cast gives the same curved result?
no Aitor, this wasn't a 'read between the lines' challenge...  :z7 it's about lifting and swinging the line from behind (sort of like a Helicopter cast, only sort of) and then making double-back D-loop setup similar to a Double-Spey.
Lee Cummings has a swing-around cast that inspired this.
nice video !
cheers,
marc

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 27/11/2013 at 10:10 »
Very possibly Steven, I believe Ck Ling (known as Doc) lives in Malaysia. Marc might know .......

Cheers
Mike
yup !  :z16

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 27/11/2013 at 12:03 »
yup !  :z16

Now that I've watched it on a laptop rather than my phone I can see that it's Doc and Dennis Pat in the background.  The level of casting ability in this country really is awesome! I just wish I was up there with them.

Cheers,

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 27/11/2013 at 12:39 »
I might upload some of my videos. I have ones of me throwing curves, snakes, wiggles, cobras and all sorts with ease.

The one i cannot do is the straight cast with turned over leader ;)

Who needs lessons when you have natural casting disablity ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 27/11/2013 at 12:40 »
Now that I've watched it on a laptop rather than my phone I can see that it's Doc and Dennis Pat in the background.  The level of casting ability in this country really is awesome! I just wish I was up there with them.

Cheers,

Steven.

It's a small world Steven :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 27/11/2013 at 13:47 »
Steven, are you aware of the yearly UFO Malaysia meet ? there's a group on Facebook for more info.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/UFO-United-Flyanglers-Organization/223456164232

Bernd Ziesche

« Reply #14 on: 22/07/2014 at 11:27 »
Hi Mike (and all),
from what I see in that video, I would have called that to be an underpowered curve cast.
Looks to me like there is no abrupt but a very sloppy stop and pretty low force application in the forward cast.
Usually a curve cast built around a transverse wave still works in higher line speed ime. This one shown here I doubt to still work in higher line speed. I think increased line speed might pull the line almost straight here.
I might be wrong of course.  :cool: :z7
Best
Bernd
p.s.: Mike, did they show the Svirolato (TLT based curve) in the TLT workshop?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com