Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

dropper rollers
« on: 19/11/2013 at 18:59 »
been enjoying reading this series of blogs from Jim Williams re winter grayling-ing

http://www.fishinglessons.co.uk/blog/category/grayling-fishing-2/page/8/

some lovely pics - I'm most intrigued by the rig on this page, showing split shot on a dropper roller. I'm intrigued about how that one looks.

For context, I used a piece of hi-tech "trapped air" kit when bugging last saturday, so I'm currently open to bizarreness on the end of the fly line :-)

Peter McCallum

Re: dropper rollers
« Reply #1 on: 19/11/2013 at 20:03 »
Looks a bit like the 'non tangle' rig in this months FF&FT

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 19/11/2013 at 21:11 »
Looks a bit like the 'non tangle' rig in this months FF&FT

Aye, I'd been thinking that too, but it's hard to see from the photo.

If you didn't see the mag, the rig in FFFT used a little riverge brand leader ring sliding up and down, stopped by a glass bead above a water knot that joined tippet length to leader. The dropper was tied to the ring.

Yup, all inspired by sea fishing!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 19/11/2013 at 23:31 »
hey Iain,
it's (or maybe was) made by Hends. it seems they're not allowed in comps and they're not-too-easy to find nowadays.
the bead idea described above should work just as well.  :z16

marc

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 20/11/2013 at 08:18 »
it's (or maybe was) made by Hends....

hi Marc - excellent, thanks. I thought you might know, being such a fan of the grayling....
 :X2

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 20/11/2013 at 09:29 »
it doesn't say graything on the package...  :z7

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 20/11/2013 at 10:56 »
...or you could just use a piece of spare nylon as per the coarse anglers good old swanshot ledger.

I've used this for grayling with no probs and no fiddling with leader rings/dropper rollers etc.

(No need for the stop-shots btw, you can use a surgeons knot/stop knot instead).

W.

Will Shaw

« Reply #7 on: 20/11/2013 at 10:58 »
or you can add an extra dropper an add the shot to that...

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 21/11/2013 at 08:07 »
or you can add an extra dropper an add the shot to that...

hi Will

aye, I do have a wee tub of split shot, and had sketched a couple of ways of rigging up. Hadn't thought of the loop of nylon - simple, obvious, and workable. Hoping to get out on Saturday for a few casts. Don't really do much bugging/heavy nymphing, so it's interesting learning how to lob lead weights!

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 21/11/2013 at 08:26 »
Take a normal leader with 2 droppers, place a fly on the point, a split shot on the first dropper and a fly on the top dropper. If the split shot snags, it should pull straight off. This rig will keep the flies about 3-6 inches off the bottom.

Another version is to replace the point fly with a split shot and have flies on the droppers. This is basically a rig called a “drop shot”. Plenty on the web about this rig. Only difference is, the coarse boys fish it static and “jiggle” the lure in a spot before moving it on. It is used in rivers for Perch etc.

Failing the above, why not use a very heavy tungsten beaded fly as per our European friends?

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 21/11/2013 at 19:09 »
Take a normal leader with 2 droppers...

... 2 droppers? normal!? that's no normal! :-)
nice idea about the weight in the middle position, though I'd probably prefer a heavy fly there, I can see the benefits if snagged up and just losing the shot.

got some new tungsten beads today in the post.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com