Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Favourite camera?
« on: 11/11/2013 at 09:19 »
What's your favourite fishing camera and why? I think this is a bit like fishing tackle, we all have our personal thoughts ........

I like my old Nikon D50, it's heavy to carry around, but I just love using it :cool:

I also have a GoPro for video stuff, but haven't used this much yet :oops

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: Favourite camera?
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2013 at 09:44 »
My Lumix G series. Super compact and light but with all the advantages of a DSLR.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2013 at 13:04 »
hey Mike,
to me, a fishing camera has to be waterproof and small. not waterproof and big stays in the car...
i've had this for years. it's smaller than a pack of fags, because of the Zeis lens it takes pro-quality pics. just about any of my fishing and fly pics on the Cobra have been taken with this. i couldn't recommend it more.
only one issue with it, longer lens settings degrade image quality quite a a bit but that's normal for a zoom that can't extend.
i've read that the newer models are even better ! :cool:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-TX5_Digital-Camera_review

Rich Knoles

« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2013 at 18:14 »
I like the Canon 7D most of the time. I've had several WP Point and Shoot cameras. Currently the Canon D20. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5/FT5 is another top WP Point and Shoot.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2013 at 23:41 »
I have recently got a Nikon D32 for my fishing. Most of my fishing is reservoir fishing from boats so it sits nicely in my tackle box if i need it!
Fed up using a camera phone and spoiling great shots!  :z18

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2013 at 07:53 »
I've got the same Sony one as Marc. Works great. Fits in your pocket and if you're really worried about dropping it then a long lanyard is what you need. Great bit of kit.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2013 at 14:13 »
Canon ixus 70 - it's old now, and replacement value is £40 or so - in other words, it's expendable, and it's no disaster if it  gets a soaking. Keep mine on lanyard, looped around neck or a D-ring.

Key feature - small, light-ish, and can more or less be operated single-handed

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #7 on: 12/11/2013 at 15:38 »
i had a cracking wee sony hx5 but sold it this summer... :X1

my intention was to get the canon 650d out more when fishing, but it just isnt practical and i rarely did! Next season i intent to stick it in a small backpack as i missed so many great photos this year.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2013 at 17:07 »
Just dug out my old Fuji FinePix S5600, I used to get some good photos with this, it's light, it has 10X optical zoom and can do reasonable video too ...... only to discover that I left the AA batteries in it :oops what a mess :z6 will have to have a go at the corrosion with some emery paper to see if I can save it from the bin.

Don't you just hate cameras that use AA batteries :z10

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 12/11/2013 at 17:28 »
good on you for blaming the batteries...  :X2 :z4  :z18

try a pencil eraser  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 12/11/2013 at 17:41 »
 :z4  :z4  :z4 ....... will give that a go Marc, the contacts are beyond green, it is more like white sandy stuff :z6

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 12/11/2013 at 18:02 »
Beware ..... batteries might be eating your camera! :z13

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 12/11/2013 at 19:28 »
Is there a thread on here for just fishing photos??

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 12/11/2013 at 19:33 »
Is there a thread on here for just fishing photos??

No Baz ...... feel free to start one in the main discussion section :z16

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 12/11/2013 at 22:46 »

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com