Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Converting rod from single to double handed
« on: 01/11/2013 at 13:26 »
Found these articles about converting standard single handed rods into double handers.  Thought they were pretty interesting and might give it a try.

http://2handedtrout.com/?p=1934

http://2handedtrout.com/?p=2248

http://2handedtrout.com/?p=2858

Quite fancy converting my 10ft 4# Streamflex into a little switch rod to try but was wondering if anyone knew any suggestions for making the extension handle removable a threaded butt cap would work but was hoping for something that might grip onto the end of the reel seat. 

Cheers
Michael

Marc Fauvet

Re: Converting rod from single to double handed
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/2013 at 13:36 »
hi Michael,
i made one a while back with a screw-in butt. not sure there's other ways of having a non-permanent bottom grip otherwise ?
anyhow, best part of the screw-in is when you realize that such a short double hander with such a short upper-hand grip is too f'n weird and non-anatomical ie: basically pointless, you can always un-screw it and throw it away and simply do single-handed speys…  :z4
cheers,
marc

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2013 at 18:56 »
Not sure if it's any use to you mate but I went through the same thought process a while back. I have an old 10' #8 that has sentimental value but nothing else. It's lying in the cupboard, unused for years. I was going to add an extension butt, however I never got round to it. I just use my single hander and slx for small rivers I fish.
I was given an extension at the time. You are welcome to it if it's any use to you? Drop me a pm.

Tight lines
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2013 at 23:01 »
Hi Michael :z16

I had a number of folk came to the fishery with rods that they'd done this to, looking to match a line up with them. The idea is a cool one, but in my limited experience it doesn't seem to work well and we never seemed to find a good combination. In each case, if I remember correctly, we ended up choosing a line for single handed use for them.

Not to say somebody else hasn't found a recipe that works of course :wink

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2013 at 23:06 »
Hi Michael :z16

I had a number of folk came to the fishery with rods that they'd done this to, looking to match a line up with them. The idea is a cool one, but in my limited experience it doesn't seem to work well and we never seemed to find a good combination. In each case, if I remember correctly, we ended up choosing a line for single handed use for them.

Not to say somebody else hasn't found a recipe that works of course :wink

Cheers
Mike

Agreed.  Like the whole switch thing, one line for DH use and another for SH use.  Your 4wt Streamflex would want either a 1wt Spey line or a 7wt single handed line to work two handed with feel based upon my experience of other similar rods.  Marc makes a very good point about the top handle length, would be very short and a half wells as an upper DHD grip, particularly of that short length?......  Not tried it but sounds rank!

Ben

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 02/11/2013 at 00:38 »
another thing to bear in mind is Ed Ward (the author of those links) has some pretty strange… concepts of skagit casting and fly casting in general. the reason the ultra-short top grip might work for him and his sheep-like worshipers is that he teaches to cast "As if the caster where inside a phone booth", meaning arms are to stay very close to the body throughout the cast.
this results in very little use of the shoulder. why anyone would want to neglect the arm's strongest joint and muscle group is beyond me but to each their own, i guess...
cheers,
marc

i'll have pic of my single-turned-double-turned-back-to-single rod as soon as i can find it... :z4

Michael Buchan

« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2013 at 05:11 »
Cheers guys and thanks for the offer paul but sounds like a non starter.

On an other note would a mini skagit line made for 4-6# lines for fishing light streamer be possible to cast single handed?

Cheers
Michael

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 02/11/2013 at 07:38 »
I've got the lightest Skagit Short head that Rio made, it work a 108 but is hard on the arm after a few hours.  Airflo make something, can't remember what they call it though, will have a look when I get to work.  If you are still throwing those rabbit things that are like small pike flies then it ain't going to be easy, a light switch rod would probably be the best bet.

Cheers

Ben

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2013 at 14:12 »
hi Michael,
with handle on. (i know, it looks like all the others)

maybe more interesting, the screw-in bit.
the rod already had a screw-in fighting butt. i took the fb apart and kept the 'two-sided screw'. on the grip side, i found a carbon arrow shaft with the correct diameter, cut to length and epoxied it to the screw's thread. the grip itself was sawed away from a spinning rod handle (they deserve to be cut and mangled !  :z16 ) and that was then epoxied to the carbon shaft. it cost me nothing as i happened to have all that laying around in the 'some day this will be used' box.
as Ben and i mentioned earlier, this isn't an ideal solution, casting-wise but it's not a bad idea if the angler wants to be able to quickly change from one to two hand fishing.
it's disappeared somewhere but i had found a salt-water blank fighting foam grip that slid down the rod section next to the upper grip that effectively lengthened the cork grip. once again, as a makeshift option it's not that bad but remains a 'not quite DHer' throughout its use but well worth the try if it isn't much of a hassle.
however, a non-negligable bonus to this system is when not using the lower grip and storing it in a strategic area of you waders, you might be amazed how it greatly interests any streamside chicks that might be about.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #9 on: 02/11/2013 at 22:28 »
Cheers Marc considering its a mismatch frankinstein rod it looks real good, pretty sure if i attempted it it wouldnt turn out like that.

Might see if santa wants to be kind and give me a switch rod for christmas.  Noticed the TCX switch rods are almost half price, anyone tried them?  Would be thinking of the 5 weight for streamers for trout and sea trout fishing.

Michael

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #10 on: 02/11/2013 at 23:01 »
in that case put in your order with Santa right away. don't hesitate !

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 02/11/2013 at 23:39 »
Was it a TCX Switch that Rich brought over Marc? Whatever it was, I liked it.

I have yet to cast a Switch that is as nice as Sandy's Winston :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #12 on: 03/11/2013 at 08:26 »
don't know Mike, i don't remember seeing one. the TCX range has a Martian-Snot green colour. maybe that helps ?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 04/11/2013 at 07:39 »
Many years ago Daiwa did a "convertable" 11' 3" rod. The blurb said it could be used as a single handed rod but with the addition of an extra butt piece below the reel seat, it could become a double hander.

I have one :)...it does not work :(

It was rated a 7/8 and worked lovely with an 8 WF but I could never find a line that worked it as a double hander. Its rather soft and "all through".

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com