Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

How spooky are trout .... really?
« on: 17/10/2013 at 09:58 »
I was reminded about this thought the other day when Sandy and I were casting some new prototype trout lines in a pool on the river Ythan. We cast the lines on a number of different rods, cane, fibreglass and a variety of carbon ones for something like an hour or more in the same small pool, simply with a bit of fluff on the end. Then Sandy went on to try a few casts with various flies to see how the presentation was .......... he caught trout straight away!

The same used to happen with the Haddo Brownies, Ben would spend ages Spey casting with big salmon lines in front of the hut and the trout would continue to rise in amongst it as if nothing was happening. On more than one occasion, he stopped, changed rods and put out a wee dry and caught a fish :roll I have experienced the same on the Don.

We constantly read about quiet presentation and keeping yourself hidden ...... What are your thoughts? How important is stealth?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: How spooky are trout .... really?
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2013 at 11:39 »
Interesting one Mike.

I think fish are naturally curious and will often come and investigate noise after first shying away from it.

Once they are used to something, it does not bother them in the slightest.

Haddo always had movement and noise in front of the hut, the fish just expected noise I guess?

I used to be in a syndicate and fish a small water for Trout to the North of Aberdeen. It had one boat so pressure was very light indeed as you could only fish from the boat. The fish were incredably spooky despite being stocked rainbows (not the brightest of fish). The same fish were stocked into a commercial fishery less than a mile away and yet those fish were dead easy to catch! Perhaps it was because the commercial had far more "traffic" around the banks and the fish got used to it.

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2013 at 11:44 »
I know what you mean Mike.

On the Chalkstreams you are warned to approach with Ninja-like stealth and to stay low etc etc.  Sure, the fish (both trout & grayling) will usually flee if they are surprised but they soon return to their lies after 10-15 mins or so.  I know this because I am often still there as there always seems to be one fish (usually a big one) that doesn't spook for you to cast at.

We are also told to make you're 1st cast count and if you don't then to walk away.  My experience says it is worth casting at a fish as long as he is still there.  It is amazing how many times I have covered a fish for 10-15 minutes before he eventually takes the fly...

I used to stay put in one place at Haddo for hours, constantly casting and still caught my fair share of fish at all directions around the boat.

I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules about trout spookiness and I suspect that there are too many variables (water clarity, time of year, food availibility, fishing pressure, etc etc etc) to write a formula.  I have always described my own fishing style as "Persistant" or "Relentless" and I find it hard to sit and wait for a fish to reveal itself.  

Maybe fisherman are just not patient enough...? :z8

Ewan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 17/10/2013 at 20:14 »
Could it be that pools on a river that are more frequently fished, or have public paths on the banks, will contain less spooky fish as they are more accustomed to movement on the bank. So trout in busier areas could be easier to catch?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 18/10/2013 at 07:54 »
or have public paths on the banks,

The big brownie I had at the start of the year on the Manse pool was taken after 4 or 5 anglers had been down the pool and I was just sorting out my line by rolling it on the surface to get some out the tip when it rushed from under my feet and hit the tube fly. So much for spookie wild Brownies :) It must have seen loads of anglers each day yet was still stationed under the near bank just where anglers start to work down the pool.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 18/10/2013 at 11:15 »
really nice topic Mike  :z16
pretty sure to say we've all seen both sides of the spooky vs non-spooky on just about any species, locations and circumstances.
we can all talk of particular instances but they are just that: random occurrences that can't be turned to facts.
fish will be at different 'alert' levels for reasons that we're far from fathoming because we're not fish. (although some smell like one)  :z4
another perspective on this is: generally speaking, even the best researchers have only a very small understanding of how our human brains function so, we're a long way from understanding how a mini-micro-brained animal such as our beloved fishies work. it's too complex...  :z4
cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 18/10/2013 at 14:51 »
I think this possibly goes some way towards explaining how an angler can show up at a well fished part of a river, wade straight out without pausing to think ......... and then simply cast and catch a fish?

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2013 at 17:11 »
hey Mike !
i think we can reasonably assume that in those circumstances their 'survival instinct' was put behind other priorities or senses. there could be many reasons and even though it's fun to think about those reasons once in a while, i really don't want to know.
if i knew what a fish was thinking and how it would react i would most probably abandon fishing altogether and take up breakdancing or something equally challenging.  :z4
cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 18/10/2013 at 20:10 »
Yes, pretty much Marc, it's just something that crossed my mind :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 19/10/2013 at 00:21 »
you're into breakdancing too ?  :X4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 19/10/2013 at 13:08 »
What are your thoughts? How important is stealth?

Wonder how much the background noise level counts? 

You live in a city centre, and you more or less filter out the hum of traffic. Live in remote country, and if a car passes by you notice it, it's unusual, you're aware and listening...  I'd suspect something like that happens for territorial trout too - they must get used to passers by, lines flashing, boats clunking etc and just treat it as normal.

Related, i was on a high bank of river don a few weeks back, idly watching shoals of fry. They didn't flinch much if I waved the fly rod over them, but they all scooted out of sight if I stamped my foot heavily. So, yup, be stealthy with yer feets!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 21/10/2013 at 12:30 »

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com