Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Photography of fish!
« on: 28/09/2013 at 19:11 »
Chaps,

I'm keen to try and photograph some fish. I've seen a few spots where they are acrobatic and think there is scope for a nice jumping fish picture. Going for the long lense and a fast shutter speed. Any other things to think about?

Cheers Matt

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Photography of fish!
« Reply #1 on: 29/09/2013 at 18:52 »
Matt,
you have probably already thought of this but you would be better taking loads of shots in burst mode rather than trying to take pictures as you spot fish jumping and try to get the sun behind you and your subject so that the colours of the fish are highlighted.

Eddie. :z18

Matt Henderson

Re: Photography of fish!
« Reply #2 on: 29/09/2013 at 20:34 »
Went out this afternoon. Long lense, fast shutter speed and burst mode. I haven't looked at the files yet but the following things became obvious. I'd picked a normal pool rather than a waterfall or definite obstruction so it's impossible to tell where the fish will jump from next. It was possible to set up  and have the sun from behind so that was fine. By siting in one spot you can sort of scan the pool whilst waiting for a fish to oblige. However if you do it this way the camera has to focus before it takes the photos often meaning the difference between fish and splashing! It is easier to set up in manual focus and then wait at one point rather than scan at random.

And bags of patience! I hung about for half an hour and then lost patience.

Cheers matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com