Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Assynt Adventuring
« on: 28/09/2013 at 08:07 »
a few words about last week's trip trouting in Assynt.

After tubing with Soundmixer, a quick run back to Huntly, rendezvous with Matt-O and northwards to Assynt for 3 days of wild trout fishing in the wild. We based ourselves at the very excellent Inchnadamph Lodge (http://www.inch-lodge.co.uk/) - self catering, with great kitchen facilities (fridges, cookers, everything you'd need) and a toast and cereal brekkie thrown in. Recommended.

Much poring over maps, and some pouring of whisky, and a plan for Monday was formed. Head high up, then fish a couple of spots on return

Monday, slightly misty, but soon to burn off in strong sun as we took the path behind the lodge to head about 90 mins upwards to a corrie loch known to have a few good fish thanks to a limestone base. Only an idiot would attempt such a walk in waders and his thickest, fleece lined fishing trousers. Long story short, after a seriously hard hike, I arrived soaked in sweat - I swear you could hear it sloshing around in my wader feet. The view was worth it though

We raised a few here, Matt broken off by a decent fish, but bright sun, calm winds (!) and tricky wading didn't help. Beautiful setting in which to blank though.  Lunch, another hour or so of fishing then back downhill to loch 2.

We split that up, taking a bank each - it wasn't enormous - and reconvened at the far end to compare catches - it was kinder to us, with some spirited trouts to about 10-12oz.

Loooooooong hike home for tea and medals. and Talisker.

days 2 & 3 were kinda similar - maps, musing, mountains, and much roaming and hiking between waters. I'd switched to just my base layer leggings under the waders, and that was very comfortable and not too sweaty. Note to self...

Lots of this kinda stuff:

Overall, brilliant, if brutally tiring, trip - lochs varied, sometimes the trout were very willing and accordingly wee; other times, you'd see/feel better fish, but not succeed. Best trout for the trip were 12oz. In three days, we fished 7 lochs and 2 burns - I had a good 4-6 oz trout from a burn, sweet!

Flees - well, Matt-O used a kind of Kate with an orange tag with much success; for me, a loch ordie bob fly and peter ross (nostalgia) combo was a winner. Big DH sedges didn't work this time out, disappointingly. Oh, and seeing 3 scum bags with spinning rods and a bag of dead fish was a low - especially when the bastards cut in front of me as I was working down a bank... grrr.

a last word - you cannot help but enjoy catching wee trout - sometimes tiny, sometimes titanic (ish) - it's truly special being that remote for a few days.

Stuart Smith

Re: Assynt Adventuring
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2013 at 08:29 »
nice report
its the best part of our island.i just cant seem to get up there asmuch as i would like
we normaly fish a wee bit further north around drumbeg in the assynt crofters area bit its still really pretty

stuart :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2013 at 08:39 »
Lovely job Iain  :z16
I knew you'd like Assynt but the problem you now have is how often can you get back there to explore more of those wee lochs?

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 28/09/2013 at 10:48 »
Great stuff Iain and awesome photos .... thanks for sharing :z16

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 28/09/2013 at 11:50 »
Iain,
I enjoyed the pictures. Glad you enjoyed Assynt, I have not been this year due to addiction with Durness and North Uist. Need to plan for next year.

Eddie. :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 28/09/2013 at 18:52 »
Iain,
I enjoyed the pictures. Glad you enjoyed Assynt, I have not been this year due to addiction with Durness and North Uist. Need to plan for next year.

hi Eddie - still time for a last gasp Durness trip... season on Assynt closes on the 6th Oct, is it the same further north? I'm mulling over that, or joining Dryflee around Crask again. Next weekend. Gotta get as many casts in before the season ends!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 28/09/2013 at 22:26 »
Aye nice report Iain, some awesome scenery  :z16

:z18

Jim

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 29/09/2013 at 00:50 »
Iain,
too late for this season. I am off to the Spey on Monday for the last day and then I have the 10th to the 15th on the lower Dee and my daughters wedding on the 19th of October so it will be rod building and fly tying and the casting sessions at Inverurie until next season.

However any suggestions of days away 2014 will be greatly appreciated.

Eddie. :z18

Stuart Smith

« Reply #8 on: 29/09/2013 at 10:19 »
iain if you can go to crask.theres some great fishing up there.if theres rain the burns fish great

stuart

Iain Cameron

« Reply #9 on: 29/09/2013 at 19:20 »
iain if you can go to crask.theres some great fishing up there.if theres rain the burns fish great

aye Stuart, had a day and half up there end of last season, excellent fishing

Stuart Smith

« Reply #10 on: 29/09/2013 at 19:55 »
would love to go back up just seem to be away with work all the time.next season

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 30/09/2013 at 17:10 »
Looks like you had a belting time Iain, great photos  :z16 Lovin the sunset  :z16 :z16

Can't wait for the weekend for one last bash, not much chance of burn sport but plenty craic to be had on the lochs.
Cottage beds are nabbed, but room for the makeshift ones, but should be some room in the hotel.  Worst case scenario would be a makeshift bed in the lounge.
Big marquee going up on Sat night for a party of walkers who're passing through (Help for Heros) so plenty life expected around the Inn, fun time awaits all who are brave enough.

Anyone from here fancying joining us but thinking of the canvas roof welcome to use the cottage facilities (shitehoose n showers).
But should have plenty pics as normal for those who can't get up to drool over when we get back.

Certainly looking to get to the more remote spots this year, dry ground will be easier to cover, big days you can't beat 'em.  :z16  Come home knackered and you're glad it's all over, plenty time to rest up and recharge the batteries anyway.  :z16 :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com