Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graeme Inglis

Re: Rod Wrapper
« Reply #15 on: 16/12/2013 at 20:56 »
Well after a few try's I have got the tension sorted by taking a leaf out of Ben's book.  I have tensioning springs under the reels with nylon washers above and below with a domed nut locking off the top.

I also used a bit of broken rod with a couple of rubber 'O' rings to hold it in the correct position on the steel rod.
However it doesn't seem to have made a lot of difference.

The new one is on the right.  :z8

Graeme

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 16/12/2013 at 22:53 »
Graeme,

Wish I'd have thought of that with the broken bit of rod  :cool:  Was a real pain drilling out that dowel without a vice or clamp, very nearly drilled my leg  :z4

I've blown that pic up as much as I can and cannot see any gaps in the thread but it is difficult to get a good idea without having the rod in front of me, maybe worth getting one of the more experienced guys to look at the build.  I have not seen any other rods with similar thread therefore cannot make a comparison between your wraps and any others.  It looks as if you may be wrapping rather tight around the guides as the thread looks a little stretched over the feet but not on the blank, this is something you would not notice if using solid colour thread which is all I have personally ever used.  Can you move the guides at all once they are whipped on?

The other thing you could maybe do which might make life easier is grind or file the tops of the guide feet down a bit to reduce the height difference between the top of the foot and the blank, I didn't do this on the first rod I wrapped but have done it on all since. Makes wrapping easier and looks neater once finished.  You could also try using solid colour thread, I think that would just make the unevenness go away!

Cheers

Ben

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #17 on: 16/12/2013 at 23:36 »
Hi Ben,
I personally think its down to that thread, well put it this way, I wont be using it again!  I have now re wrapped the worst ones but I'm calling it a day with this thread.  In saying that the jig is now working really well so looking forward to the next build.....but do I need another rod?

Using the section of broken rod just seemed the right thing especially since the fit was almost perfect.  The rubber 'O' rings make it easier to keep the thread in the right area without limiting the flexibility of the loop section.
Thanks for all your help.  :z16

Graeme

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com