Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Rod Wrapper
« on: 02/09/2013 at 20:39 »
Decided that wrapping by hand in front of the TV is not for me so was looking for something to make whippings a little easier.

Was considering getting the Pac Bay wrapper from Guides & Blanks but was put off by the price relative to what it is in USA that and their "Highlands & Islands" delivery charge when shipping by Royal Mail so, I decided to make one.

Cobbled together with a junior hacksaw, some Tesco metal files and whatever I could find from Homebase & Inverurie Auto Parts that looked useful.  A bit rough around the edges but seems to work as planned  :cool:

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

Re: Rod Wrapper
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/2013 at 22:20 »
Cool .... :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 02/09/2013 at 22:28 »
What role does the peanut butter play in all this? Is it better to go smooth or crunchy?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2013 at 22:50 »
What role does the peanut butter play in all this? Is it better to go smooth or crunchy?
Crunchy, whole earth organic or nothing Iain  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 02/09/2013 at 23:38 »
I hope that's not going to get in the way of the kettle Ben :roll

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2013 at 08:13 »
Have you made a "third leg"...you will need it when wrapping eyes near the end of the sections.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 04/09/2013 at 08:34 »
Have you made a "third leg"...you will need it when wrapping eyes near the end of the sections.

Yes Rob, three sections although for a 15' 3pc I think I need 4 legs or a much longer table  :z6

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 04/09/2013 at 10:12 »
Try doing a 2 piece  beachcaster with an 8 foot tip section!! Nightmare

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 04/09/2013 at 11:02 »
Almost got tip section of 15' 3pc done......

Try doing a 2 piece  beachcaster with an 8 foot tip section!!

Err....  Bollox to that!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 04/09/2013 at 12:44 »
Yip! The blank diameter alone means you use metres and metres of thread per ring on the butt/lower tip, especially as most rings are underwrapped.

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #10 on: 13/12/2013 at 21:19 »
Hi Ben,
Looking at your rod wrapper and I'm wondering how you stop the nut on the thread holder 'winding up' as the thread rotates and increasing the tension?  That's the problem I have. :z8

Graeme

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 13/12/2013 at 22:51 »
Hi Ben,
Looking at your rod wrapper and I'm wondering how you stop the nut on the thread holder 'winding up' as the thread rotates and increasing the tension?  That's the problem I have. :z8

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I made some washers cut from the bottom of Orvis green fly tubs (polyethylene sheet) and covered them with sticky backed felt, there doesn't seem to be a problem with tightening up using these.  If you were getting tightening (I do on the right hand side with no washers) then you could lock off the wing nut (or whatever you use) against another nut.

Cheers

Ben

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #12 on: 13/12/2013 at 23:05 »
Yeah I tried locking off the nut with another, wasn't too successful on the first version, second version is more like yours, but from what you say the plastic to reduce friction is the key.  My quest continues!

G

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 13/12/2013 at 23:10 »
I got the sticky backed felt from Homebase, it's the stuff sold for putting on things to prevent scratches on surfaces.  Also used it for lining the V's that the blank sits in.

Cheers

Ben

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #14 on: 15/12/2013 at 14:09 »
I used to make shake proof nuts by cutting a slot along a face ( not Across) cut into the thread and then nip the nut in a vice or tap it with a hammer, its very effective, easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com