Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Helicopter Accident
« on: 26/08/2013 at 19:21 »
I know this will be close to home with a lot of guys on the forum.

My condolences to the families. However you are still more likely to be killed in a road accident than in a helicopter going to the platform or rig.

There have been 110 helicopter fatalities in the last 30 years (one is still to much) In the same period there have been close to 100,000 deaths on our roads.

Jim

Derek Roxborough

Re: Helicopter Accident
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2013 at 19:54 »
 The terrible price of North sea oil, 5 accidents with these 'copters in 4 yrs, cant be acceptable, easgach 1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 26/08/2013 at 20:59 »
Not good, I could hardly believe it when I heard it announced on the news.

There have been 110 helicopter fatalities in the last 30 years (one is still to much) In the same period there have been close to 100,000 deaths on our roads.

Any approximate idea of how many offshore workers are moved by helicopter from UK to North Sea installations in a 12 period Jim? 

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 26/08/2013 at 21:39 »
Not good, I could hardly believe it when I heard it announced on the news.

Any approximate idea of how many offshore workers are moved by helicopter from UK to North Sea installations in a 12 period Jim? 

Cheers

Ben

54 million passengers from 1981 to 2010 Ben. Lots of the statistics here

http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/cmsfiles/modules/publications/pdfs/hs027.pdf

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 26/08/2013 at 21:57 »
That's a lot more than I expected!

Cheers

Ben

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 26/08/2013 at 22:27 »
Having been involved in this industry for more years than I care to remember and having spent countless hours on these flights I can only pass on my sincere condolences to the families and friends of all concerned in this latest incident.

Eddie.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 27/08/2013 at 11:30 »
The terrible price of North sea oil, 5 accidents with these 'copters in 4 yrs, cant be acceptable, easgach 1

From a human cost, no, it is not acceptable and can never be, from a statistical point of view, that is an extremely low failure rate for the number of miles flown and a rate that the authorities and operators have been working on reducing still further. Something like 1.9 deaths per 100,000 kilometres flown in the North Sea.

I get an email every time there is a death or reportable incident  to the HSE (we use them as examples in the training) and Working at Height is by far the biggest killer, and I do not mean up the top or drilling derriks, its normally someone in an office or warehouse on a set of step ladders!

Barry Robertson

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 20/11/2013 at 06:51 »
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Holderness-Road-man-escaped-death-helicopter/story-20093886-detail/story.html#!

A good read about one of the survivors story!

It is indeed Baz, anyone who has worked offshore will know how cramped the choppers are , it always went through my mind how difficult it would be to get out if a crash occured.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com